1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dell 17R SE for light gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by shigllgetcha, 27 Dec 2012.

1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

I can get this for around £730 with codes how well would it work for say simcity 5 when its out and BF3(not expecting much but would it be playable) I play most stuff on xbox so i wont be playing anything too demanding on it

3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM processor
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 130W
    1TB Serial ATA (5400RPM)

To all the dell bashers, I do like dell myself but if someone shows me better value for something similar Id consider it

Is DDR3 outdated? I dont understand what DDR3 means to be honest but I read someone saying its outdated

Thanks

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It'll be okay - especially if you're not expecting to max everything out. The CPU is certainly capable, and the 650M is a reasonable card for a laptop - though it depends exactly which model Dell are using.

My only suggestion would be to replace the HD with an SSD (although some review mention it has a 32GB mSATA drive as cache?). DDR3 is not outdated, DDR4 isn't yet out.

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I'm not aware of DDR4 for systems yet I think DDR3 is still the standerd.

I'm not to sure on gaming laptops but going with Dell is the way to go with laptops. No other manufacture can compare to the support they provide on products when you need it.

4. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Aw right that's okay I was sure what it meant

Yeh I'd think about taking out the DVD drive and putting an ssd in instead, the prices for ssds seem reasonable at the moment

The temptation increases then lol

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

5. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

And now the 6gig version is down to £640 in the january sale with the code, shame i can't afford it this month

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

6. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Should be fine. It has similar spec to one I price checked recently and mine never fails for light gaming at the higher end of the settings.

7. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

I think it'll be absolutely fine dude. I was using an XPS17 with an I7 2720QM 8gb ram and a geforce GT555M until June this year and it was running games like Batman Arkham City and Skyrim maxed out at 1600x900 at really solid FPS. I'm not sure about the next gen of games on the horizon but current console port type games should run on that!

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Yeh i think ill go for it in a month or two when i have the money.