1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Slim case fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 3 Jan 2013.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I need 2x 120mm fans for a 240mm radiator but the catch is I have an absolute maximum of 20mm of clearance. The fans will most likely be exhaust fans with 2x92mm fans as intakes.

So far I have found the following:

Yate Loon (20mm)
    Gelid (15.8mm) also looking for the black version on the black edition hsf
    Scythe slipstream (12mm) but turbine so probably not appropriate

Out of the 3 above what do you think would be best for a radiator (probably h100i) and are there any other slim fans that i should consider?

Thanks in advance,
    atc95

2. Dmlindley

Dmlindley What's a Dremel?

The only ones from your list that I have used are the scythe slipstream's. at 12mm they work remarkably well pushing but get caught on the rad itself too easily when in a pull config

atc95 likes this.
  3. atc95

oh ok, so what are noise and temps like? I would have them pushing air out as exhaust fans so would work for me :)

EDIT: going to be cooling an overclocked a10 5800k if that makes any difference!

4. Dmlindley

Dmlindley What's a Dremel?

Noise is very low, they work well on a controller. I actually had two on a XSPC 240RX Rad which is about 50mm thick and was seeing 32-34C on normal use and around 45C running extreme burning in 3dMark

5. atc95

Anyone else able to share opinions?

I have also found the fans from this akasa cooler which could work.

6. atc95

BUMP

Really need opinions on this, also found these fans but again they come as part of the heatsink which is quite an expensive way to get two of them.

7. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

If you go with the H100i, use the Gelid PWM fans since the H100i will be controlling them. If you go with a different, non-pwm solution, or will not be plugging the fans into the radiator controller, go with the highest speed slipstreams, and plug them into a controller.

atc95 likes this.
  8. atc95

I have no room for a controller separately :(. I have contacted coolermaster, akasa and gelid and the only one to reply is akasa saying they do not sell the fan separately. I am probably going to buy 2000rpm scythe's for the time being and possibly upgrade later but with a h100i I think the temps will be ok with an a10 5800k.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013