1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Storage Question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by the9thwonder, 3 Jan 2013.

1. the9thwonder

the9thwonder What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Needing to build/buy something to store all my vids/pics/files on.

Currently I have an external 1 TB drive plugged into my router via USB which is my primary storage :sigh: then a 2 TB drive in my pc for additional storage, and finally 4x3TB drives waiting for use.

I was looking at a Synology DS412+. Was thinking about not going with it because I thought it didn't do RAID 10, just re-read the specs and it does. Since I have a spare box (including everything except a gpu) I was thinking about going with nas4free. I would think the nice part about using my own case is that I could just keep adding as many drives as I would like until its full, with the DS412+ I'm limited to 4.

One nice feature of the DS is that it supports link aggregation (I haven't found that the motherboard in the spare box does). I would need to buy a switch anyway because I'm running out of room on the back of my router. I would like to be able to share the storage with anything on my network, including a ps3.

Thanks for your input and opinions

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

You can get media server applications which convert and stream vids to your ps3

3. the9thwonder

Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to get sone feedback from people who have used nas4free and/or a prebuilt nas box. I'd like to put these hdd to use so I can get this "project" done so I can move on to something else.

1 more question...does nas4free require a controller card or can you just use the sata connections on the motherboard?

Thanks!!

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

windows home server?

5. the9thwonder

I wasn't really planning on buying another OS. I have a copy of server 2008 r2, but that's a little overkill just for storage.

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I would second homeserver (its less than £40!)
    while free nas is good, the backup ability of HS and remote access are great.

Or if your a student go for Server 2012 Essentials, its the updated homeserver (And no it doesn't need to be run in a domain)