1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Keyboard not working properly

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Strudul, 28 Nov 2012.

1. Strudul

Strudul ~

I work in a computer repair shop. We got a laptop in with a keyboard that wouldn't work at all.

We replaced the keyboard and turned it back on.

Upon trying to enter the password, Ease of Access Centre opened up when the "U" key was pressed. Leaving this pop-up window open and clicking back in the password input box allowed us to finish typing the password.

So we managed to log in, and began testing the keyboard (pressing all the characters).
    The problems were:
    -Pressing the "U" key bring up Ease of Access Center, but only on the login screen
    -Windows key does nothing
    -Pressing "L" will lock the computer
    -The numbers are all messed up (pressing "4" inputs "5", pressing "9" inputs "=" etc.)
    -The left arrow key does nothing

*Note* Holding "shift" stopped the "L" key from locking the computer.

At first I thought it was sticky keys / toggle keys etc. However, those were all turned off.

So I assumed the keyboard layout was set wrong, but it was set to United Kingdom (English). I also tried resetting it and trying UK (Extended) to no avail.

I also thought maybe the start key (or another key) was stuck down, but pressing "E" or "R" did nothing (should bring up "My Computer" and "Run" respectively). Pressed all the buttons a few times, nothing seemed stuck.

I tried plugging in an external keyboard via USB and it had the same problems.

I uninstalled the two keyboards in Device Manager and rebooted. This seemed to fix the problems with the "U" key bringing up ease of access and "L" key locking it.

Success?.... Not entirely.
    The external USB keyboard is now working fine, but the integrated still has messed up numbers.

I tried to enter safe mode. 2 attempts and a facepalm later I realised the F Keys weren't working on the integrated. Switched to the USB KB, reset the bios, tried safe mode, same problem with the integrated KB.

Inserted Hiren's disk, booted mini XP. Same problem with the integrated KB.

Anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas for a solution?
    The only things left I can think of are:
    -It isn't plugged in properly (But then why was there a problem with the external USB keyboard initially.)
    -It's broken (But then why does the rest of the kb work)
    -Driver issue (But the rest of the hardware and software hasn't changed)
    -Malware

Info:
    Samsung Laptop
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2012
  2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Can you test any of those keys in the bios? Also have you tried updating the bios?