1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New router recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eddtox, 4 Jan 2013.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Hello Bit-Tech, long time no post.

The time has come to replace my ageing WNR854T, and I could use some recommendations.

My primary concern is wireless to wired speed, as I will be using a Zyxel NSA325 as a target for Time Machine backups, and my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port. It will also need to cope with multiple devices streaming Internet tv, and must play nice with bonjour (current router crashes if I leave iTunes running).

My instinct is to get an AirPort Extreme (I value apple's customer support), so I don't mind spending top dollar on a router. However, if I pay high-end money, I expect high-end quality (eg. No half-baked admin interfaces, a la Asus Dark Knight etc).

Given my experiences with my current router, I would be reluctant to buy another Netgear product, but I will consider all recommendations.

Thanks,
    Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I was under the impression that the 802.11ac specification had not been finalised yet? I'm not keen to buy another draft router (wnr854t is draft-n, which only gives me 144mbps wifi).

4. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Thanks for that, malc.
    I hadn't heard of Draytek before, but having a read of some reviews (Mainly smallnetbuilder) it seems they are high on features and customisation, but somewhat lacking on polish and performance (at least for the price). I'm certainly tempted, though. I really like the way you can plug a wireless dongle in and share the connection!

Keep the suggestions coming!

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have a draytek 2830 and a 2850. They are good routers I love them.

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

got a 2820 and speeds are great, no complaints at all from me

8. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

If money is no (or at least little) object, then you might want to go straight to the top and look at Cisco stuff. For more consumer related devices, Netgear is my favourite.

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Routerboards? quite cheap but really quite good for what htey do

10. kaxliysi

kaxliysi What's a Dremel?

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

no way! cisco make nice routers (actual routers) but their utm (which would be best for home use) isn't that great. If money was no object, I would have a fortiwifi 40c at home - I had a spare one at work I was planning to bring home but it managed to get to my boss' home first :(

Last edited: 7 Jan 2013
  12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Since I went from TP-Link to Cisco (E4200) as my Router I have not had to do any rebooting or any such non sense. I can add multiple rules without rebooting and wifi is actually quite good. The new interface allows me to monitor and change settings and traffic while I am away too.

Just set my Superhub to modem mode and now my connection is faster, not sure if Virgin updating hardware or router is to blame though.

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I was looking at the E4200, but I read a lot of reviews complaining about crashing etc. Since the main reason I'm replacing my netgear is to stop the crashes, I'm not keen to get another with the same problems.

Does anyone have experience with Apple's Airport Extreme? I know it won't be as fast as some of the dual band routers out there, but it might be worth it if it's stable...