1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Planning on making a custom waterblock. Need feedback!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Axoxenon, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

Hello fellow techers.

I used to be a member/lurker here a loong time ago, then my interest for modding and computers was laid to rest for some time.

Anyways, I doesnt watercool and never done it earlier either.
    But working as a CNC-machinist, waterblocks is something I could to all days ;-)

So heres some piccys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fittings are 10/8mm, total height 14mm.
    The fins's square is aprox 30x30mm, the baseplate is totally 5mm thick whereas the fins height is 2mm.
    The groove is cut 3mm deep leaving 2mm to the core. The fins is now 0.3mm and so are also the grooves.

Its gonna be pretty restrictive with only 3mm clearence just over the core. So was thinking to increase groove/fin width to maybe 0.5mm. What you guys think?

Thats want I wanted to know :p

Edit; Sry, I just noticed that there is a watercooling section. Thread should be moved there :-*)

Last edited: 9 Jan 2013
  2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yeah id go with 0.5mm, and you might need to give the coolant more room to spreadout before it gets to the fins as it might just goes through the center as your inlets are so focused and close.

3. Axoxenon

Thanks for the reply.

I have now altered the model just a little but the basic design is the same.
    Will post som pictures once i get home from work.

Cheerio

4. Axoxenon

Hello everybody.

Did some changes, added radiuses in the top block (screws goes in the corners) and added 5 more millimiters from where the coolant enters the block to the fins. So it is now a total of 10mm.

And changed from 0.3 to 0.5mm fins and grooves. I was thinking about a 2mm chamfer aswell as where the coolant hits the fins but it isnt added in this picture.

Please comment and come with suggestions :)

[​IMG]