1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Any time you're this way your more than welcome :D

I should probably do more reading with regards to pp but I'm still working on composition and generally work better with one thing at a time.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Came within about a foot of this guy while walking around the woods today. Scared the living **** out of me and caused me to jump back and re-evaluate the path I was going to take

Total length was about a 2.5-3ft and the diameter was about 2 inches.

[​IMG]
    Cottonmouth

Last edited: 10 Jan 2013
  4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Wuyanxu - the last shot is great. I miss Scotland :(

Fantastic shot C-Sniper. Always good to know people are risking life and limb for photographs :hehe:

5. Lewis*b

Lewis*b What's a Dremel?

6. stonedsurd

I really, really like you style of shooting, Lewis.

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Agreed, just don't let the Instagram bunch and whatnot get hold of such a photo. ;)

8. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

A few shots from my recent trip to Iceland:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My shots of the geysir turned out really well imo. The light was great at the time, just before dusk, very atmospheric:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I couldn't take my tripod with me, so my northern lights shots were mostly horrible. This is the best, taken with the camera on the roof of the hire car (hence the reflection), but it's far from good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Gorgeous shots, everybody!

Reminds me I need to start messing with stills again. I've gotten addicted to doing video because I have a place to post it, but i should mess around with the still camera some more.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

OMG! it's my dream to see the northern light! you sir are very lucky!

11. stonedsurd

Awesome, AWESOME shots dullonien

12. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Great shot. I didn't read the text initially just seeing the photo alone. I didn't notice it was a car roof, I though it looked slightly soft as an image but it looks to me like the roof is a lake or something (which explained the reflection)..

13. dullonien

Thank you all for your compliments, but it's really not a very good shot. It looks a little better here due to the relatively small image size, but at a higher resolution the blurriness is very evident, especially in the stars. It was quite a windy night, and because the camera was being loosely propped up on the car roof with whatever we had laying about (lighter I think), coupled with a 150 sec. exposure time, and it was never going to be sharp. A decent amount of sharpening was applied to the RAW image in photoshop as well.

I wish I had my tripod with me, next time... Anyway, a photograph isn't everything, it was a great experience seeing the northern lights.

14. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

15. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I'm off to Iceland in 6 weeks time - any places you's suggest I see or any tips?

I'm meant to be going on a outing to see the northern lights, did they pop up most nights? I'm terrified I'm going to go all that way then either it'll be cloudy or they wont show

16. dullonien

My big tip would be to hire a car. We hired a golf sized car for 2 days for ~ £130 from Europcar (got upgraded to a Civic mind), and it was a good decision. It made it much easier to explore the surrounding countryside, although be prepared for ice covered roads as you head into the mountains. Our hire car had studded tires which made it easy to drive tbh, but I consider myself a very good driver in snow and ice.

The conditions need to be clear for the northern lights, so there is an amount of luck involved. The organised coach outings to see the northern lights could end in you not seeing them, it all depends on how long they are willing to wait. On the night we saw them, they didn't fully emerge until gone 1am, and I am unsure if the coaches would wait that long. Having a car allowed us to wait as long as needed. Unfortunately we had all but given up on seeing them that night, so had already set off back to Reykjavik when they appeared, but initially we had found a great spot to view them from, up in the mountains. This freedom could also be good, although the spot the coaches go to could also be good, I'm not sure.

Other places to visit would definitely be the Geysir, which is east of Reykjavik, and another 20min further is Gullfoss, quite a large waterfall. We couldn't enjoy ourselves too much at Gullfoss, as it was -12 at the time and blowing an absolute gale = insanely cold.

Reserve a day for the Blue Lagoon, it is completely worth it. We spent around 4-5 hours there and it was thoroughly relaxing.

Material likes this.
  17. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

A few from NYC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Wow yoda, great x3. :D

Have a good trip?

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Trip was awesome, even managed to squeeze in the Coldplay gig in Brooklyn on the 30th.