1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning USB Media control hub thing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by legoman, 10 Jan 2013.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Some of my current peeves has been i have loads of music sources (phone, Raspberry Pi, PC) and one output and I have loads of USB device I keep swapping I have a USB hub but the things annoyingly light and just makes the desk look messy.
    That along with the cables and a fair amount of boredom has made me decide to do design what i can best describe as a media dock of sorts. I've cannibalised the USB hub stripped it down to a skinny seven port unit found some switches a 4 position rotary switch (no knob yet) some random USB ports I have for some unknown reason and some wood.

Idea is some USB ports on the top left with a rotary dial on the right for the audio sources. Knowing me it'll change but that's half the fun of designing!

Lobbed some wood i had knocking about under the monitor. It may look too high but it has to be more than 12mm deep or the USB ports will stand proud of it so its currently 24mm thick so lets just call it an inch for sake of arguing. Ivegot one of those USB LED strips on the back of the monitor so I will need to shoehorn a switch in somewhere for it too. Heres a very rough first draft ill be doodling tomorrow some better ideas but input is always more than welcome.

[​IMG]

2. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

why don't you just make a new leg for your screen with a usb & audio hub?

3. exiled

exiled What's a Dremel?

why don't you monitor arm it and add ports to the binding post ?

4. legoman

The wall behind is just plaster board unfortunately so it cant take the weight otherwise i would have probably done that.

Id have to use the existing mount which is a weird ball and socket type affair the leg being the ball joint makes it hard to much without a sacrificial leg as it were. That and i quite like it raised :)

5. exiled

exiled What's a Dremel?

i ment a desk mount just saying

6. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

you can attach the new stand to the four screwholes in the back of that screen? just throw out the black stand. that way you can mount the Rpi behind your screen too...

7. legoman

I'll get the pad out an start doodling! Sorry exiled I miss understood you initially

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

How goes?