1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking 3570k

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kol, 13 Jan 2013.

1. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

hey all,

i have a P8Z77 V-LX2 ASUS motherboard with a Core i5 3570K and i cant seem to get it to overclock at all. I've tried using the ASUS turboEVO utility and even though it says my processor is running at 4.2ghz, i check system settings and its still at 3.4Ghz. Could anyone point me in some direction of decent settings for overclocking on this board ?

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You've probably left on the power saving features in the BIOS. What you're seeing happening is that when the CPU is idle, the multiplier is lowered to reduce clock speeds and reduce heat. It's not a bad thing to leave on if you want a cool and quiet pc. You only really need to turn it off if you're having stability issues or you're benchmarking.

If you want to turn it off, make sure you switch off all power saving features and also any cool and quiet settings. If you're unsure, google a quick guide to your motherboard as the terminology in the BIOS can vary by brand.

3. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

If its turboboost and speedstep, there both off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

4. Fire Strike

Fire Strike What's a Dremel?

Due to the way these chips overclock, windows will always report the stock frequency. Try using a program called cpuz as this will show you the true frequency that you cpu is running at then report back.

5. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

so i ran CPUz, and it seems to only go to the OC i set it too (4.2) when i run prime. but when i turn off speedstep and turbo, it returns to stock. i just want an oc of around 4.4 all the time not when i need the extra boost.

6. Fire Strike

Fire Strike What's a Dremel?

Leave turbo on, this is how the overclock works. Can I ask, why don't you want it to clock down when you are not using it?

7. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

just because my 760 never did and i liked it that way haha =)

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

You know you'll be burning a lot of power by doing that for no added gain? The CPU will automatically speed back up to your OC when it's actually needed with no preservable slowdown while it does it.

9. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

I suppose i could leave it, its just ive always had my 760 running at full throttle and its been fine.

Ive been mucking about with the UEFI again today, i have my CPU ratio at 47, RAM at 1400-1600mhz and CPU voltage at manual, but ive tried most voltages upto 1.260 and it fails to boot, ive had it boot using offset voltage but the overclock wasnt applied. What am i doing wrong, any ideas?

10. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Its an issue with asus bios. If you switch between fixed and offset or vice versa you have to reset the cmos/bios or the OC will not take on reboot.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

11. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

So if i reset my cmos, and try with the settings i have on an offset voltageit should hopefully work?

edit: that didnt work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: 13 Jan 2013