1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Quick cable question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NRG IT - Olly, 15 Jan 2013.

1. NRG IT - Olly

NRG IT - Olly What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Bit of a boring one, but I'm trying to find out what cable people use mostly with their monitor/computer. VGA or DVI? Personally I go for DVI, but am interested to know which cable is used more.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2013
  2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

DVI, VGA if I'm using my laptop.

NRG IT - Olly likes this.
  3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Here is what you are suppose to use:

Best: DisplayPort
    Great: DVI
    OK: HDMI

VGA should not be used with any digital screen technology (so not with LCD monitors)

Display Port while not every relevant as DVI does everything that we need. When it comes with higher resolution than 2560x1200 (like 4K monitors if they ever come), or HD+ resolution but with more than 8-bit colors per channel, you want DisplayPort, else you'll need 2x DVI cables for 1x screen.

Also DisplayPort 1.2 support daisy chaining up to 4 monitors at 1920x1200 (or less with higher resolutions), requires much less power than DVI and HDMI to function (excellent for laptop and tablets), also the internal ribbon format of DisplayPort (for laptops and tablet internal display) consumes even less power. Longer cable support. Supports carrying auxiliary signal (so USB for example, so you can have USB hub and web cam on the monitor, without the need of a USB cable), and finally support more plug-in's and out before breakage than DVI and HDMI, which makes it ideal for laptop and tablets. Like DVI, but unlike HDMI, DisplayPort also carries signal error correcting bits, so that you always have the best image possible, at every frame.

DisplayPort 1.2 support 4K resolution at 60Hz @ 10-bit colors if I am not mistaken.. if I wrong than it's 8-bit colors.
    HDMI: 4K resolution but only at 24Hz @ 8-bit colors
    DVI: Not at all. You need 2x dual link DVI cable @ 8-bit colors.

I use DisplayPort for connecting my laptop to my monitor, and I use DVI for connecting my desktop to my monitor.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2013
  4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

GoodBytes... Is there anything you don't know?

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Definitely not about monitors or GPUs!

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I use Displayport for my U2410, and HDMi for my projector.

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

DVI mostly, except for my laptop, where I use HDMI.

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

DVI for each of my displays.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

DVI for most, but hdmi for htpc. Although if I get a new display, it'll be DP.

10. NRG IT - Olly

Cheers for the answers. I'm trying to work out which cable we should supply as standard with our monitors so we can keep our prices low. We're thinking about supplying either VGA or DVI as standard and giving the option of having the other cable instead, if it's needed. So, display port and HDMI don't come into the equation unfortunately.

11. NRG IT - Olly

I suppose it's a bit of a two-part question. What video connection is more common on computers and which one do people use the most?

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Now? I'd say DVI. As my answer to both.

13. NRG IT - Olly

This is my thinking too...

14. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I use DVI for both of mine

15. yogev_ezra

yogev_ezra Green Gadgets Ltd

If my monitor has both DVI and VGA inputs, then I am using DVI as it provides better quality of course (and automatic screen centering). But these days, some cheap IT managers (hint, our own IT manager) still buy monitors that have VGA only, so of course I am limited to use VGA then :worried: Also older laptops only have VGA connector so if you want to use them with external monitor, you are limited to VGA.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Definitely DVI - if I buy a lovely IPS monitor and it comes with a VGA cable which makes it look all fuzzy I'm going to be disappointed.

17. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

In a perfect world, DisplayPort, otherwise DVI. Haven't used a VGA connection in over 8 years.

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I assume you are building computers for companies and individuals.

DVI is currently the most common. VGA is being phased out. Nvidia and AMD are pulling the plug. While the GPU still support VGA, it is out of the reference design. Intel is expecting to pull completely support for their graphic solution in 2015. Already you start to see less and less computers with VGA plugs even on the business class systems.

So going with VGA is not only idiotic, but will also provide to your costumer a bad image (shows that you are cheap, and penny pitching.. so it will make them question the rest of your products and services), and also provide a poor image quality (higher the resolution the worst it gets.. 1080p is already pushing it, in a high interference area.. like living close to downtown or downtown.. let alone in offices where they have many people with cellphones and wireless Ethernet). Buying more shielded VGA cable will cost you more than DVI cables, and be extra ugly and increase difficulty to install, (the wires are very stiff). Oh and a few years you'll be stuck with VGA cables in your warehouse, as no more computers will have VGA ports.

Already on the market right now, only business class laptop have VGA for legacy support on projectors.

Consumer level laptop uses HDMI for easy connectivity to their TV. Business class laptop have DisplayPort. But DisplayPort is slowly entering the consumer market for both desktop and laptops.

Between the 2 (VGA and DVI) I would go with DVI. Even if you had to pick between HDMI, VGA and DVI, I would suggest DVI.. as HDMI cables are more expensive and provide no benefits over DVI for a computer monitors. The day we will see 4K monitors, we will be using DisplayPort already. So it's not even long term thinking getting HDMI.

If one day you do acquire monitors with DisplayPort, then offer these cables. Or even if you can't.. proving your costumers with DisplayPort ready monitor is a very nice thing (beside it will be on the higher end monitors, so it will be no issue).

19. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Since I have two monitors, I use a HDMI for my cheapo 19in jobbie off to the side, and then use DVI to connect my 24in. Mind you, these are the best inputs for displays both monitors have. The 24in only has a VGA otherwise, and the 19in has component, and then SCART.

Ideally, I'd use displayport, but I don't have the money for the monitors, or the need for them.

I think my next upgrade monitor-wise will be thunderbolt, but that'll be when I can have most of my peripherals daisy chained together, if that ever takes off, which I think it will.

20. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

DVI. Both the monitors I currently have are VGA... :(