1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage NAS hard drive issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ainz, 15 Jan 2013.

1. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

OK so i have possibly been a numpty when trying to install a new hard drive on a netgear ready nas v2 box. Effectively I formatted the drive before putting it in, not realising i shouldnt have. Is there a way to simply return it to factory settings so it is effectively as it was when i bought it? Theres no data on it so nothing to lose on that front!

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Did you format it under windows? If so, go to Disk Management, right click the partition you want to delete and choose delete. Just be certain that it's the right disk / partition!

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I'm pretty sure you should still be able to get the ReadyNAS to accept it. Run RAIDAR and see if it appears to be ready for partitioning/formatting.

If not, stick it in your windows machine, run DISKPART and nuke it, then stick it back in your NAS. Voila!

5. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help guys. I did try and do it via disk management but it didnt seem to work. I am trying the disk part thing Cleggmeister mentioned. I am not really familiar with it. I have basically done a 'clean all', of the selected disk. Is this what you mean by nuking it?

6. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

run as admin
    then

list disk "enter"
    select disk * the one you wont * "enter"
    clean "enter"
    exit

side note make sure you chose the correct disk

Last edited: 15 Jan 2013
  7. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

well, i seem to have solved the problem though in a rather crap way. Big_malc, apologies but i rudely didnt fully read your earlier post directing me on how to sort the problem via the bootmenu of the nas and started the diskpart idea. When i properly read your link, i realised that was probably a better place to start so scrapped the diskpart i'd started and popped the drive back in to go to bootmenu. Despite not saying the diskpart had finished, the nas box now appears to be happy with the disk. Thanks for the help anyways. Another case of 'read the manual and dont just jump in thinking it will be fine'. A lesson i fear i shall never learn :)

8. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

I have habit of not being clear or explaining my self properly don't worry :p