1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Looking for a new case... WTF happened?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ConKbot of Doom, 27 Dec 2012.

1. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

After digging through my newegg order history, and realizing that my CPU/MOBO/RAM is ~7 years old and my GFX card is ~2 years, I decided it was time to work on a new PC. I get on newegg to look for cases. Easy requirements, or so I thought.
    <$150
    Mid-tower to short full tower,
    4-5 5.25" bays, preferably
    1 3.5" bay,
    no door on the front,
    no window on the side ( adding sound dampening inside, 500 mm fans over top the GFX card and CPU fan letting all their noise out, prevent that from working right )
    And finally a clean, simple look.

So I get on newegg, figuring I'll find a coolermaster case as usual. (CM Centurion serving me currently)

Nope. Not a single candidate in stock on newegg. (The CM gladiator was close, didnt really need all the big fan holes on the side. ) Then searching more manufacturers, besides a few cases that were close, all the other hundreds of cases on newegg vary from a few just not being my style, to ***** repellent, to the results of a Reaper visiting planned parenthood, with dr terminator doing the procedure. :wallbash:

Other than Lian Li, who thankfully stuck with simple clean lines, but only the pricy mega towers are in stock. Luckily Amazon had a windowless Lian Li PC-8N in stock.

WTF happened that coolermaster turned into a NZXT/RAIDMAX sort of case Mfr, and a whole lot of new (to me) companies dumped a TON of ugly onto the market? I mean I've seen some ugly/wtf mods on here, but with good craftsmanship to appreciate at least, and its at least to that persons taste when they are working on it. But stuff like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133192 is like buying a 1992 honda CRX thats been riced to the max off a used car lot.

Like seriously, the molds for injection molding that would cost thousands(Even in china, thats a crap load of different moldings) , plus CAD/CAM work to prepare for that, on top of actual supplies/materials, how do they sell enough of those to turn a profit. :eyebrow:
    /rant

****, am I turning into a crotchety old man?

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Eventually, Yes. :worried: Unless you are a woman.

Face it. We are no longer the target demographic. If you like clean lines, you are obviously an old person, and old people supposedly have more money than teens.
    ...Even though we know the younguns shed money like water.

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Get a Fractal Design Define R4. It's well within budget and very quiet. Yes, it has a front door - but that helps to dampen the sound from the HDD bays.

Also you could get a Lian Li case.

4. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

I'm actually on the same boat. I was looking for a good PC case but didn't find one that I really liked the same as my current Mac Pro.

So, I decided to build my own case...

If you don't mind a little bit of modding, get an old PowerMac G5 case! They look awesome, have an awesome airflow and awesome expansion possibilities. And they are less than 150$ as well.. It just takes some time to make everything perfect. If you want to use ATX boards, you need to get a new backplane, if you decide to use mATX, the backplane works fine. Go google it...

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I loled

It seems to imply that the right case the could be some kind of ***** magnet.

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Unless she's into computers you'll be lucky if the computer case was ***** neutral.

7. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Pink NZXT Phantom should atract females. :hehe:

8. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

TOTALLY agree on the lvl 10! nice idea, but executed in the most insidiously ugly way! there are a few GOOD mods of it, compared to hundreds of butt-ugly pie-face the 3rd mods of it.

:worried:course i also hate the *cough* bf prodigy *cough* with a passion:worried:

im about to get flamed, arent I? :worried::eeek:

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

10. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Not from me, high five!

Could get something like the corsair obsidian series? bitfenix shinobi? silverstone temjin series?

11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

right back atcha!
    @shirty: made. my. day. i might have to use that!

12. ConKbot of Doom

Hmm, well the PC-8N showed up and it calms me, makes me not want to punt babies as much.

And looking at the actual thermaltake Level 10 (NOT the GT) that looks very nice and is an interesting concept.

However, the Level 10 GT looks like a deal-extreme copy of it :rolleyes:( I.e. http://technabob.com/blog/2011/06/25/game-station-p1-4000/ is a dx'd ps2 )

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't think they have really. You could say they have diversified their product range. Lets not forget that they still make this beauty too....
    [​IMG]

14. exiled

exiled What's a Dremel?

15. ConKbot of Doom

[​IMG]

sound absorbing foam and dampening material out the wazoo, now we're talking.

Only major case thing left is to figure out how to keep a ton of sound from CPU/GPU from coming out the front fan hole. I think the 3.5" HDD mount is getting removed and reworked to break direct line of sight from the internal fans to the front intake without hindering flow too much, and to make space for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186064

16. ConKbot of Doom

[​IMG]
    Going slow, but some cable lacing and some custom length modular power cables keep everything neat.