1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Yeh ive only heard good things about them, lusting after one atm but im only after getting the last bike so think ill have to wait!

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

This is what I got after a little research. A Lezyne Steel Floor Drive. Simple, but effective. They make more expensive versions out of Alu, as well as CNC versions, but I didn't see the need to spend any more. It is very nice, easy to read gauge, long durable looking hose and a lovely wooden handle that adds a nice touch. Comes in red too if you fancy a splash of colour.

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Just wondering is anyone doing the Liverpool to Chester bike ride in July?

4. Richiy

Richiy Banned

Riding bicucle is one or my favorite sports. :D

5. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Forgot how much fun riding in the snow is, from the silent fresh snow on the road the front-wheel sliding on sloshy pavements, couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculously unstable I felt!
    [​IMG]

6. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Yea, it's great fun! I cycle to the station every morning through some snow. Most of it is frozen and hard now, which usually means that your back wheel will be going in to every track and divit. It's a lot of fun trying to control it and to kind of ''snake'' through it trying to not get caught up in any tracks.

I'd take a pic of my bike and the snow but people on here would laugh.. :)

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

We wouldn't laugh too hard, anyway, as most cyclists would say, it doesn't matter what you're riding, it's the riding that counts. I'll try get a pic of mine up after riding to work.

Must go I'm late, the shop opens at 9.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have been a big snow girl and haven't taken my bike out in the snow.

has anyone ever done megavalanche? I have a few friends doing it in July - I think if I did it I would potentially die so I don't think I am going to do it this year. Though if anyone has done it I would like to hear how you got on! Plus I don't even know if I will have my dh bike built by then.

9. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I've heard it's quite elbows out every man for himself. I guess it depends if you've got the experience with that sort of riding (and in race format), confidence and a bike that's up to it in terms of reliability. It's more of a challange then a race, but it's probably best to do some Enduro or DH races to get a feel for that scenario, they'll still probably be tame in comparison :p.

Jamie likes his racing, maybe hes done it?

I would love to do it but would want to be riding well enough to make the most of it, as well as not injure myself.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Kermit the frog?

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Kermit the waterproof jacket holder :D

12. Boardoombob

Boardoombob What's a Dremel?

Very nice :)
    Is it done in true bit-tech style though? (i.e. Kermit doll with the innards ripped out and modded to suit)

Last edited: 21 Jan 2013
  13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Haven't posted to this thread in at least five minutes, so have an image/video dump:

[​IMG]
    View from the new route I take into work - essentially I ride along this ride the entire way, jump into a field, descend through a switchback (all offroad), then hit a main street which dumps me out right in front of my new shop.

[​IMG]
    This is what the city looked like last night. Heavy fog, chilly wind, and a lovely bit of fresh snow falling. Was properly wonderful. In the distance you can see the highway that cuts the city in half with a rail track running parallel, with a large arterial road crossing over it. The video I took previously of a ride along Nose Creek pathway runs by this area, just along the rail tracks.

[​IMG]
    A bit of a game for you: find the bike!

[​IMG]
    Contra-flow bike lane to shuttle people North out of the core. Two days in a row there has been a city truck parked here, blocking the lane and thus forcing cyclists to either dart out into oncoming traffic (that one cannot see), or make another illegal manoeuvre, like onto the sidewalk. Just after this picture was taken the driver of the truck punched the engine towards me, driving in the bike lane with only about a foot of clearance between me (as far over to the right as was physically possilbe) and the side of the truck. If you're wondering: there was plenty of room on the other side of him, he was just being a jerk. I've since reported this to the city and am awaiting a response.

[​IMG]
    Random Pretentious Macro!

[​IMG]
    Faffing about with my photo gear!

A customers rear Chris King hub. It's been through two winters (at least) and the customer refuses to get it serviced, despite acknowledging that it is entirely broken. Listen to the death-knell of this once rather expensive hub.

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

lol at that hub.

Maybe it's so that people can hear him coming, :D

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

It's much, much quieter than a King should be, so I do have my doubts about that...

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Finland reporting in, this goes across snowy sea ice far better than any of my friends bikes. ;)

[​IMG]

17. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

After taking it across snowy sea ice (salty?) you make sure to give a nice wash off right?

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Been there, done it, got the sore forearms!

Unless you're taking it super seriously it's not that bad, except for the glacier at the top, where you can't stop, ever, even if you crash you still won't stop.
    Then at the climb you'll be wondering who put glass in the air.

The rest of it's just really, really rocky, unless you get away in the top twenty or thirty you won't be riding that fast and there'll be lots of stopping and queuing up to chat when the field bottlenecks.

For the record: I've never qualified higher than the third race of the day, so no idea what the 'proper' Mega is like, they'll probably kill you for 101st. Both times I've been I went with a Cannondale Prophet and it was just fine, a full dh bike will kill you on the uphill!

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Nope, for one the ice is frozen solid and there isn't any free water (and it's not that salty too), for two the snow is thick enough that my tyres never actually contact the ice (otherwise traction would be far worse).

20. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I am looking for some cycling clothing advice.
    I am 44 yrs old and ride a Specialized hybrid bike up and down the Swansea coastline, nothing too taxing.
    I usually just wear jogging bottoms with some crappy Muddy Fox waterproof trousers with a combination of t-shirts and a Timberland 'waterproof' jacket and some normal Adidas trainers.
    My feet get cold and I feel uncomfortable!
    I am looking for some specific cycling clothing that won't completely break the bank.
    Footwear
    Socks
    Trousers/Leggings
    Gloves
    Jacket
    Sweatshirt/Top

Thanks for any good advice.