1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Integrated PC desk V.2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by metalglasses, 29 Aug 2012.

1. metalglasses

metalglasses What's a Dremel?

The reason why it got one probably because of a sloppy introduction.

2. metalglasses

It has been a while since I made a post, I have been busy lately, so here is a update from my log

(10-17-12)

I just did the legs, they turned out pretty good. I also made up a new side (where I messed up on fan port positions) for the box.

I made the angle at 103 degrees, the leg may seem short. V.1 is about 22 1/4 off the floor, with this project, the height will be 23 1/4. In addtion, my knee won’t touch the radiator. With that aspect, it will be nice during the winter months.
    [​IMG]

(10-19-12)

I thought that I should throw this up. I cut out the holes of the sides for the fan ports. Flush route them, I’ll have to sand them at the wood shop.
    [​IMG]
    Getting the Jigsaw set up.

[​IMG]
    After finishing routing the holes flush.

[​IMG]
    I also took the time to make the hole for the motherboard tray.

[​IMG]
    I actually want to make some coasters out of these.

Also, I took some time to trim up my “almost” done assembly bench (30″X60″) I only have 3/4″ plyboard right now, I am working on another 3/4″ of ash (same wood for this project). It won’t be too hard on the tools, it is a good, strong, cheap wood that is really underrated in my opinion. For those who don’t know, it is the wood that is used for baseball bats.

Anyways, that’s the update of the day.

10-25-12

I just found out that I am 1/4″ short on a piece of stock! more like it is a 1/4″ thin. The piece I am as of this post, will call it the back hood as it refers to the rad. HD’s, PSU. Anyways, look at the back piece of the isometric view and that piece should of been 8″ instead. The solution to this problem is to make up a short piece about 1/4″ wide, glue that on, plus to help cover it up even further, I’ll put up some veneer Beside it would probably work better than what I was originally intending (leave it alone).

[​IMG]
    That’s it for tonight as far as actual progress.

On the side note, I took some pics while I was test fitting the box of the desk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This will look really GOOD! once I get the spar poly-urethane.

11-5-12

I just finished gluing up the top section of the desk. I have been a bit slow because of life.

I didn’t take as much progress photos as I liked. So here is what I have taken.
    [​IMG]
    This is me drilling a hole for the wires to come out from the back.

[​IMG]
    After I glued up the “upper section”. For some reason I hope I glued the inside peice right. I usually check my work after everything is settled, but I didn’t tonight. I’ll have to wait and see tomorrow (I kind of have to move it before somebody decides it’ll be a fun idea to break other people’s stuff). (update) it is fine.

Anyways, I am tired from trolling on facebook about our dumb ass election. I'll go read a book or play TF2.

3. metalglasses

Construction is pretty much done

12-3-12
    As of tonight, I finally bring home the desk. It has been a month since the last update because of an another project, paper, and prepping a deck in the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here is what happened… not much really.

First, I made some floating tenons (beefy biscuits) for the jointing of the legs and feet.

[​IMG]

This is one tenon that is prepped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There’s the mortise’s

Then I finally get to bring it home after gluing the legs over the weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways, it doesn't look like I'll get to applying the finish after finals, so yeah that's progress thus far.

4. metalglasses

It's almost done!

...and it's taking forever for me to put the last peices together.

To recap since the last post, I put about three coats of poly-eurathane, it looks awesome. I took advantage to show off the imperfections of the wood.

I had a problem with the motherboard... actually I had it since I transfered it to the first desk from a tower. It would either shut down on me or lose display. that was a year ago, the problem fixed itself? I really don't know what happened, all I know is I drained the power, didn't do anything till the next day and suddenly it worked? should of rma it but didn't. Anyways I wanted to upgrade anyways because of the placement of the x4 pci-e. Anyways got myself a new GD-80 990FX and it looks great.

As far as the liquid cooling parts go, I am going with a basic loop, rad-cpu-gpu-res-pump, nothing too special.

I got psu wire extensions for function and appearance as well. I did a lot of brass coating on the parts for accents. I was a bit worried about the color scheme: Brass, Blue, Black, and the glowing goldish wood. I will also add blue uv dye in the water. I had installed blue led strip about 2m long, wrapped about 3/4 of the perimeter. A cold cathrone that I had laying around will be placed on the back side of the support beam under the desk only for appearence.

I also had some foam laying around, used it for filter materail for two fans (intake) and I'll go to the hardware store and buy some mesh and rattlecan it matte black. For the old fan contorler, I am prepping some scrap wood to make a casing for it, I'll probably put two coats of poly.

Right now, I am waiting on some more parts to get the machine running, I overlooked about ordering connectors for the pump. So I'll have to wait till the 9th. Kind of sucks, but if all should work out, it'll be on that following night.

Here are some pics of the project right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. metalglasses

It's almost done!

...and it's taking forever for me to put the last peices together.

To recap since the last post, I put about three coats of poly-eurathane, it looks awesome. I took advantage to show off the imperfections of the wood.

I had a problem with the motherboard... actually I had it since I transfered it to the first desk from a tower. It would either shut down on me or lose display. that was a year ago, the problem fixed itself? I really don't know what happened, all I know is I drained the power, didn't do anything till the next day and suddenly it worked? should of rma it but didn't. Anyways I wanted to upgrade anyways because of the placement of the x4 pci-e. Anyways got myself a new GD-80 990FX and it looks great.

As far as the liquid cooling parts go, I am going with a basic loop, rad-cpu-gpu-res-pump, nothing too special.

I got psu wire extensions for function and appearance as well. I did a lot of brass coating on the parts for accents. I was a bit worried about the color scheme: Brass, Blue, Black, and the glowing goldish wood. I will also add blue uv dye in the water. I had installed blue led strip about 2m long, wrapped about 3/4 of the perimeter. A cold cathrone that I had laying around will be placed on the back side of the support beam under the desk only for appearence.

I also had some foam laying around, used it for filter materail for two fans (intake) and I'll go to the hardware store and buy some mesh and rattlecan it matte black. For the old fan contorler, I am prepping some scrap wood to make a casing for it, I'll probably put two coats of poly.

Right now, I am waiting on some more parts to get the machine running, I overlooked about ordering connectors for the pump. So I'll have to wait till the 9th. Kind of sucks, but if all should work out, it'll be on that following night.

Here are some pics of the project right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. metalglasses

The project is finally working! only about 97% done. Apparently, my old MB, CPU, and discovered that my 6870 is out for the count. Got a Asus 990FX Sabertooth v.2, AMD 6200 Hexicore, and popped in my old 4870 just to at least warm up the seat for the replacement 6870 or 550ish nvidia card. I will hear soon from xfx about rma'ing the card and nag on the rma for the old 890 (I actually found the SN) and the 990 gd-80 as well (I couldn't find anybody with a compatible system and frustration) so maybe use it for a build to replace my parents dying dell.

I'll post pics when the project is finally done for your critique (other than it took too dam long towards the end, mostly my fault because of time management and rest is finals and the deck project, which also finally finished it as well).

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You say 'too long'- I say 'room to expand.':D May be you can sneak a 2nd rig in there someday. Spares come in handy, 'specially when they start breaking down on you.

8. metalglasses

Scratch Build Integrated PC desk V.2 (...since 1-25)

I absolutely forgot to throw up some of the finished pictures. I was busy during completion of the project. So here they are, it is running since 1-25.

[​IMG]

Gotta love the flaws in the wood, so glad I grabbed the stock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That should be it until I decide to do something with it.

9. postmangav

postmangav What's a Dremel?

That looks absolutely beautiful. I wish I had your talent.

10. SavellM

SavellM What's a Dremel?

Hey man.

Nice desk :)
    Quick question, dont you find sitting there its a bit too deep?

11. metalglasses

@SaveIIM no actually, I sit right up to the desk nicely.

However I do find myself moving the keyboard back and fourth. It's right up to the edge for gaming and the rest of the time it is back a little bit. During the drafting process I had drawings to have the entire front end beveled because of this concern. I ended up scraping that design detail because I though it wouldn't look consistent with the whole design.

The first desk was about 6 3/4" deep, I wouldn't have the problem if it weren't the metal frame that I used for it. This new desk, I raised it to 2" and it doesn't feel though I have to lower my seat and the desk is about 1 1/4" thicker.

So I hope that answers you question.

12. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Awesome build....looks great in the dark. :thumb:

13. iWatercool

iWatercool What's a Dremel?

@metalglasses - could you tell me what type of hardwood you used? Thanks.

14. metalglasses

@iWatercool, the hardwood I used is ash, a nice under-rated wood (I hope it stays that way, about $3 per board feet).

15. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

+1 on Ash being under-rated. I almost used it for a workbench build, but it ended up being more expensive than Red Oak, given the resources I had (and I found a cheap slab of Red Oak to eliminate laminating the bench top).

I missed the latest round of photos on this one. It looks great. The wood doesn't have flaws, it has character, and I love it. Great work :thumb:

16. Piotrek_PL

Piotrek_PL What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome dude!
    Only things I'd change is the placement of the reservoir and the loop in general nonetheless it's beautiful build.

17. iWatercool

iWatercool What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the response. Ash is a good wood. Great work!