1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Maximus V Gene SATA problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sixfootsideburns, 18 Jan 2013.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That still counts as not working. Borrow a SATA DVD drive a friend, try it with the same SATA port and cable, if it will work, it's your SATA DVD drive, if not then RMA the board. For example i had to RMA an EVGA board, which refused to boot with two SATA devices, but had no issues booting with just one SATA device.

2. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Well I agree with you there I guess... something definitely isn't working properly. I was just hoping that I had a setting wrong and it wasn't a problem with the motherboard. If I have to RMA it then so be it.

Heres something else that is acting funny though... Today I plugged in an old drive to transfer some files that I need. Most of the drive I don't care about and it can be replaced over time. But some of my files are design work for various projects that I've been working on over the last two years and to loose them would be be very frustrating.

So I plugged in the drive (older 320gb Seagate drive) my computer, and once I got to windows I could open the drive just fine. Everything showed up normally, but when I went to transfer the files I needed it came up with an error that said "Device not connected." I figured maybe the drive had gotten corrupted or something when my old machine started crashing a lot so I ran chkdsk and everything turned up good. Zero bad sectors, no noticed corruption, everything seemed fine. At this point I had to go to work and didn't have time to trouble shoot anymore so I powered down, unplugged the old drive, rebooted, and was going to start some DLs so they could run while I was at work.

Heres where things started acting funny... when I started my downloads via utorrent, utorrent gave me the same error for the file, device not connected. :grr: BUT the strange thing is this is a brand new SSD that I have successfully installed SC2 on (and have played) about a week 4 days ago.

So now I don't know if the reason the drive isn't showing up in the BIOS is because the drive is bad? Or maybe its because of the port its in? But the really strange thing is both the drives show up fine in Windows, I can browse them both and the old drive checked out just fine using the chkdsk command.

Anyone have any thoughts? And sorry for the novel :hehe:

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Sorry for my previous misunderstanding - sounds like there's something not right with the board, and I'd be tempted to RMA it!

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah, one of the more obscure hardwaretests i read found out that after using the built-in overclocking presets, even when setting to normal, the values for voltage wouldn't go down (though this was with BIOS 1.07 or so)

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I had some weird SATA problems with my Maximus V Gene, BSOD's from the disks and my Blu-Ray drive would randomly disconnect. I solved it with a BIOS update to the latest version and more importantly enable Hot Plug. I don't know why but from reading the ROG forums it seems to fix most drive related issues.

6. Xunsu

Xunsu What's a Dremel?

Funny enough I had the same issue a few days ago

I have a SATA LG blu ray optical drive( in the 3Gbps) and a samsung F3 and my samsung 830 128 SSD...My samsung F3 blew up so I got a nice new 3TB seagate, so redone the cables to make sure they was right (both seagate and ssd in the 6Gbps Satas)..booted to my horror, the seagate was not seen in the BIOS ( but I heard it spin up) so I swapped the my SSD and the seagate over and it was fine :D

So maybe ( even through I do check my cables) they was not in well enough for it too work.

7. sixfootsideburns

Interesting... I'm pretty sure my BIOS is updated to the most recent version but I'll have to double check when I get home from work. I keep Hot Plug turned off because I don't have any need for it. Once I get all this worked out I fully intend to only open my case to clean the filters. I went ahead and just filled out an RMA request anyways in the mean time...

Really getting frustrating though :wallbash:

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Keep posting news!

9. sixfootsideburns

Well I received my RMA confirmation and I'll be sending it out sometime next week I hope. I'll keep you posted!