1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Alienware Aurora ALX-XL

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by kier, 27 Oct 2012.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I didn't depin the giant connector, just the 24 pin and 8 pin and so on. I slid heatshrink down to the end and shrank it against the big connector, but I'll be redoing mine soon so I'll post pics when I do. I've had quite a while to puzzle over how to get this done...

2. Hanoken

Hanoken O.O

This looks so puurty :3, and I got so many inspiration from this thread man... only downside is that I cant really do much in my situation :wallbash: you said you had a new design for the nvidia logo for the GPUs, what kind of design exactly? I kind of like the simplistic "nvidia" logo, but then again with you kier... anything can happen GASP black magic :D keep up the good work :dremel::dremel:

3. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Subbed.
    Got here late, but Im subbed :D

4. Owndapwn

Owndapwn What's a Dremel?

While your craftsmanship is outstanding, I still see this project as trying to polish poop.
    It's starting to get a gloss to it, no doubt, but you're still dealing with poop.
    This is how the case should have been from the beginning. But with better cable routing.

Also, you're planning on replacing that CPU heatsink with a custom waterblock, right?
    I'd hate to see you be part of the ~24-46% (Depending on model) of Alienware users who have their water cooler randomly explode.
    Pump failures (Some just stop circulating water and it just boils the water and burns the CPU, others actually explode and destroy the casing), radiator clogs (Paint dust or corrosion, usually), and hose ruptures (Either split lengthwise or come off the fittings).
    That'd leak right on those 680's. Dx

siliconfanatic likes this.
  5. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Ok, you don't like Alienware-we get that.

Now, go somewhere and do something usefull instead trolling here.:nono:

6. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I actually kind of see owndapwn's point. Despite the need to make some money its sad that they've let the internals get this far out of hand. I personally think kiers taking ms. Pie face and giving her plastic surgery :p, as far as intetnals go. If you can't proudly put a window on it your not doing a good enough job... kier is taking up dremels and fighting the good fight against dell-level internal work :rock:

7. Owndapwn

No one asked you, Meg.

This guy gets it.

8. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Has anyone asked you?

9. Owndapwn

Yes.

10. kier

kier -----------------

Is this what i get everytime i'm posting an update???

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I know, haters suck. I love what you've done on the case. Although I agree that Alienware do the bare minimum and charge high-end prices for that; you're doing this justice. Btw, I'd be weary about that cooler, I've also heard that the Alienware Units do fail pretty frequently. It'd be a shame to ruin your work because the company didn't quality control their stuff properly.

12. siliconfanatic

Sorry bout that. Not saying their styling isnt good, that parts actualy phenominal on their part. I understand that sleeving costs money, but is it to much to ask for some management at least? Doesn't degrade your work in the least though, kier!:thumb:

13. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

**** all yall.
    I think he's doing a bang up job.
    Let's not forget folks, this section of the board is about mods/projects.
    If you wanna talk about alienware being an overpriced Dell in a tart's dress, then take it to the hardware section.

However, if the faulty AW cooler thing is fact, and Owndapwn can provide reference for his statement, then I would consider linking the CPU into that GPU loop.

siliconfanatic likes this.
  14. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with you, I think this is the most awesome Alienware I've seen so far.
    Sorry if I looked like a hater, I was simply annoyed by the guy hating off above.

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

All those commenting on Alienware being shite must not have worked on one. I'd rather have some of their work than most other companies, Asus included. It's more like working on a workstation than a desktop PC. But it's not driven by the same things that your tastes are, so it can't be any good. I worked as a server tech for many years, and I went into regular repairs after that. I went through Dell's stupid years to watch them turn into a better company than pretty much out there. They aren't made with the "hide every wire" concept, they're made with the "provide for any eventuality" mindset-and sleeving might be inexpensive, but the labor required for sleeving isn't, and single sleeving is the ugliest and most wasteful fad to come out in a long time. If you sleeved that wiring setup you couldn't put it back in the case-I know, I tried on mine. Accept the project and its limitations, or don't post. He paid his dues in modding, the man deserves a little respect. He's not stupid, don't treat him like it.

I do notice that only he gets this, that nobody bothers me in my log even though mine's an Alienware as well. Everybody has their haters, though. The very fact that he has gotten good enough to attract haters ought to tell you about the caliber of his work. And such work doesn't need an excuse.

kier likes this.
  16. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

We need a 'like' button here.

17. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Owndapwn should be banned.

Admin should teach that troll a lesson.

18. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

No we don't... that would make us Facebook and nobody needs another one of those...

You both need to chill out! So he doesn't like Alienware... big deal! Your not helping anyone by saying he should be ban for given an opinion. His opinion is simple...
    "While Kier's work is high quality, it's hard to make chicken soup out of chicken ****."

You don't agree... well guess what! That doesn't make him a troll. While I agree with you that he could keep some of the comments to himself, the point of a thread is to recieve peoples opinions about your work... most people just post things like "AWESOME!" and "MOD ON!" Just because he didn't follow that boring norm doesn't mean he's trolling. Both of you need to just leave it alone or take your disagreement elsewhere.

Damn man, I really hope not. While Alienware may not be my personal favorite I can definitely say that you are making this case look pretty sexy. I like that you painted the side vents black, something about the plain aluminum finish just didn't look right to me. Also with such a dark case internally I think you may actually do better trying to hide as much of the cabling as you can instead of sleeving. Typically I would prefer sleeved cables over stealthed because I think it adds more character but in this case I'm not so sure. I'm definitely interested in seeing the final results.

19. siliconfanatic

agreed.:D

But pranja, really:eyebrow:? Its only a differing opinion. There's no rule against critical comments... He could have worded it better:nono: but he didn't. Doesn't mean they should swing the banhammer on him. Normally I agree with you but bunning him...

And I only ever said they could at least route the wires a bit. I mean, The alien head on the wb wouldn't be on there if they didn't intend it to be seen;). So tidying up would've been a nice thing to do. Not a must, but it would've been a nice touch.

But that's besides the point. Kiers fixing that right up:dremel:! any news on the patient, kier?

Why do people keep beating me to posting? :lol:

20. kier

kier -----------------

Thanks y'all for the support :thumb: , I don't mind to have occasionally Alienware haters after i post an update.
    But every time is getting a bit annoying. Please start your own thread or just call Dell support center if you have any issues.

Like I said before....it's all about the modding. Still very proud on the fact that Alienware has choosen a regular Dutch guy to mod on of there cases and after it's good enough take it with them to events with my name on it....this is a modders dream in my oppinion :hip:

Enough about this..... for those who like, more cable management :thumb:

[​IMG]