1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What are my available options (bought a naff car)

Discussion in 'General' started by profqwerty, 29 Jan 2013.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, given how easy it is to make a case in the Small Claims court.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Which doesn't force him to do anything.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

As a lawyer, I have to disagree with this point. Plus, it's really easy for an individual to bring an action in the county court, and relatively inexpensive.

profqwerty - if I can help at all, drop me a PM.

4. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I have a 2000 Limited with the 4,7L V8 currenty parked in my garage with (hold on) gearbox problems.. :p my 3rd and 4th gear is slipping, so I need to change the clutches..
    changed oil every 12K km, but I guess it was just time... :/
    I am pretty sure you have the same Gearbox as me, the 45-RFE.

also, have you checked out www.wjjeeps.com a GREAT resource for anything related to your car.

OH, and gearbox-related codes are rarely cheap to get rid of :(

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Amazed 3rd and 4th are slipping, you towed a lot with it?

6. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

It has towed some stuff over the years, but the two gears are the ones that normally slips normallu due to low oil level and when the two gears are the ones that uses most oil (several clutches are applied) and the RPMs inside the box is higher, so you can get foaming in the oil, and that is not good.
    So I think what happened is that I might have misjudged the oil level on my last oilchange.. Might have done a stupid mistake like checking the level with the engine stopped or something similarly embarrassing... :banghead:

7. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Alrighty. Got the sensor and solenoid changed and it's working beautifully now (touch wood). The Jeep garage (NOT where I got it from) examined it and gave it a good report which's good news. I've driven about 150miles in it so far and I've been pretty impressed, it's lovely and smooth on the motorway and still goes nicely in the country lanes with potholes.

I've been checking out that WJ site and seeing what I cn do with it now it's working!

The guy who sold it offered to fund some of the repair costs which's acceptable I think, I guess I'm just glad it's turned out fine so the whole experience seems much happier now.

8. profqwerty

I think I might have the lesser gearbox as I only have the 4.0L engine, it does run nicely though.

Thanks for the offer about legal action, I'll just leave it I reckon (sadly that's the easiest isn't it?). I live in Aberdeen now so it makes things a bit trickier!

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

need pic's of it now. I've been wanting a Jeep Cherokee for just over a year now, looks more like a Volvo which makes me happy.

Only like swedish cars, they have a better way of doing things to the most part; and it's hard to explain to anybody until they experience it first hand for a period of time.

10. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

well, here is mine before and after pulling a stuck lorry out of my neighbors garden :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. profqwerty

Awesome!! What size tyres have you got? I swear they look bigger than mine.

I would agree with the Swedish thing - my mum has a Saab which is just lovely to drive. And then I wanted a 4x4 :D

12. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

They are the original wheels with a bit wider tires than original, 245/70-16

and here is a pic with the 20"-wheels from the new Grand Cherokee, but with waaaaay to big tires (275/55-20), and lifted 2,5".. still rubbing the inner fenders :/ need to buy smaller rubber for the summer... :)

PLEASE ignore dirty car and half-done rust fix

[​IMG]

13. profqwerty

Yeah they're kinda huge! I prefer smaller rim with bigger tyre wall. On my defender I had 235/85/16 which were phenomenally big. Have you got spacers on it too? Or is that just how the newer rims are?

I also need to buy a tow bar.

14. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Yeah, they needed spacers, and still rubbing..

I MIGHT sell them (got a bargain on them in the first place) and buy some more beefy offroad wheels and tires, as I enjoy trips on the beach and in the woods.. (in the car, of course)