1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics xfx radeon hd 6850 bsod atimkp.sys error

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by apexx22, 7 Feb 2013.

1. apexx22

apexx22 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm having issues with my xfx Radeon hd 6850. It keeps making my computer bsod(akimkp.sys) I also get the computer freeze and sometimes it recovers saying graphics driver failed but recovered.

My setup is:
    Asus sabertooth 990fx
    Amd fx4170 4.2ghz
    x2 4gb(8gbs) corsair dominator gt(1866):yawn:
    Thermaltake frio cpu cooler
    1x Xfx Radeon hd 6850 single cooler
    760gbs of disk space over to hardd drives

It does it on gta4, sleeping dogs and battlefield 3. Have tried the card in two other machines and tried there cards in my machine. The other cards are a HIS Radeon hd 6870 turbo and a xfx Radeon hd 6870 dual cooler and both cards worked perfectly in my Asus machine in games.

The other machines are 890fx machines so can't properly test it on a same sort of spec machine as mine. Battlefield 3 and sleeping dogs ran perfectly.

is there a known fix for this sort of issue with the xfx Radeon hd 6850 on a 990fx board?

thanks!

2. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I Imagine you've tried driver sweeper then reinstalling the latest drivers. Also have you tried using a different power connector on the card, I know that you said you tried 6870's and IIRC they are 2X6 pin whereas 6850 is 1X6 pin.

Does sound like it could potentially be a vram issue. Might be worth running a vram stress test to see if that's the problem.

3. apexx22

apexx22 What's a Dremel?

I have run driversweeper, and reinstalled windows 5 times since I upgraded my hardware( graphic card only thing kept out of old 890fx setup)

Also I replaced my powersupply to try and fix it to a corsair gs800 which didn't fix the issue. The gs800 only has one graphics card connector had to use two iso to 6 pin adaptor out of one of the 890fx setups to run the 6870s in mine.

4. apexx22

apexx22 What's a Dremel?

I will try the vram stress test and get back to you. it used to run battlefield 3 fine for 9 hours constant play in my old Asus m4a77td pro motherboard.