1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help.. Pc won't boot :(

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by WiryRocketeer, 6 Feb 2013.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yeah its looking like it. Unless anyone else can chime in with other suggestions/confirmation.

2. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

The place I am purchasing from has agreed that if it is not the fault then i can return the item (s) for a full refund (minus postage costs). So hopefully all should be okay.

3. Restayvien

Restayvien aka [ZiiP] Prometheus

This sounded like a mobo issue to me right from the start - it might also be worth testing the PSU in case it caused the damage (the burning smell and/or a really high pitched whine are often indicators of a faulty PSU), if you can find a cheap tester (I used to use something like this: http://www.systo.co.uk/components/p.../delock-18133-power-battery-tester-18133.html) you could check.

It's possible that one of the lines has gone in which case the mobo could still be powered but you would loose certain functionality. I think it was the 5v line that used to go most of the time, I can't remember the exact symptoms but I think we'd hear the fans whirr but there would be no boot/post activity whatsoever. Or the mobo lit up with no fans, can't recall.

If you can test the PSU in advance you may prevent the destruction of a second motherboard!

Last edited: 11 Feb 2013
  4. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

I have actually already tested it with a multimeter, if this is what you mean, and everything was "as it should be"

5. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Bet its the PSU. Seen this a few times and it's always been the PSU.
    Fans spin up everything looks good yet nowt happens.
    Only way to check is to either get a spare PSU (try and keep one the next time you upgrade, they always come in handy). Or try the PSU in a friends comp.

6. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Righty, going to order a motherboard and processor, I can always return them if it doesn't solve my issue. What do you recommend?

7. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Just thought i'd let you all know, i replaced my cpu and motherboard and now my computer is functioning so it must have been one or the other, thanks for all the advice and help.