1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Aliens: Colonial Marines

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 15 Jan 2013.

1. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

The squad management feature was canned a while ago.

So far the only disappointing thing for me is that the game does have a HUD despite them saying it wouldn't :(

2. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Not looking good from PC Gamer review

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh they really are bad! Anyone who pre-ordered this must be feeling like a right fool!

4.3 over at IGN.

"Aliens: Colonial Marines is an uninspired and unfinished game, and not remotely worthy as a sequel to the Aliens film."

4.5 at Gamespot

"There's little suspense, nothing to absorb you or spur your curiosity. Colonial Marines is tone-deaf to what makes the Alien franchise what it is--and what makes the best shooters so exciting."

3 at Eurogamer

Even if it were polished to an acceptable, 2013-standard AAA shine, Colonial Marines would still only be a generic effort coasting on borrowed iconography. Weighed down by so many grindingly obvious mechanical issues, it never even gets off the ground. For a game all about exterminating bugs, it's a fatal irony.

Need I go on?

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

oh disappointment...was looking forward to this. Glad I didn't preorder though....

will pick this up on the cheap as I like the alien universe

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I've been playing the game on and off since 1am. The main thing I like about the game is the atmosphere. It feels like an Aliens game should feel. Moody, tense and parts that just get the heart going. There is one particular level where you feel very vulnerable for reasons I won't spoil for people but.. it just feels right for the Aliens franchise.

The game definitely needs to be played on the 'Ultimate Badass' settings for maximum tension and 'oh sh-t' moments - specially when you find yourself down to your last pulse rifle mag with a swarm of incoming xenomorphs coming.

Graphics are mostly fine but there are some areas where the developers really haven't been arsed to do a good job. The Hadley's Hope level is a good example of this as the textures of the landscape and vehicles look like they are being rendered by a 3DFX card.

I say the game offers more to the genre than the previous Aliens game as this is more believable and fits in with the films better. Compared to other shooters this isn't anything special but it's certainly not as bad as people are saying. It does seem to be unfairly compared to Call of Duty for some odd reason. I guess that's because the game awards you for kills and you can gain points to update your weapons.

Sadly - depending on how you look at it - the single player is pretty linear. There are areas you can go and explore but it's mostly 'do this', 'go there', 'follow me' kind of playing. It doesn't bother me though.

The voice acting is cheesy but I think it adds to the game. After all it was hard to take the Aliens movie that seriously due to it's use of cheesy lines spoken by the marines. So it's no surprise to see them speaking in the same way in this game.

I haven't touched co-op or multiplayer yet so I cannot comment on those. But I have a few friends that have bought the game so I may get to try them out later.

I guess some people expected a lot more from the game than it actually delivered. Since I was let down by Aliens vs Predator my expectations were a little lower but the game did turn out to be better than I expected. I must be one of the few people actually enjoying Colonial Marines.

Not at all. I pre-ordered the game thinking it couldn't possibly be any worse than the 2010 Aliens vs Predator. Thankfully it's way better than that POS.

I only paid £20 for the game pre-order and I feel that it was worth it.

6. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

wow. This must have been done a while ago then because i recall reading a review some time back (maybe last year?) that said it would be more survival horror-ish in terms of gameplay/action with squad management like brother in arms (i presumed).

I don't even think i'll get this in a bargain bin sale atm.

7. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Reviews are all pretty poor. Looks like the odds are stacking up that it's a pretty crap game.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

*Sighs* I really should learn my lesson about preordering.

I hope I'm in the same boat as flibblesan.

9. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I nearly caved before this came out! Glad i didn’t go for the preorder. If its cheap in a steam sale i might snaffle it up for some co op game play with my mates.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

It's pretty ****. I let myself get talked into getting it for co-op reasons but since they stripped out the hoarde mode for later dlc it even fails there.

Any game which is under a release day review embargo never bodes well...

11. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I'm hearing good things about the Multiplayer. It supports LAN play too.

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Lol, just saw the advert. You know those lines from reviews they put in, well this has: "It looks superb". Also, another line, from another publication I've never heard of.

13. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Had an hour on it today and found it ok, not the worst game ive ever played

14. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

I think this video is relevant to this topic. :hehe:

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

^^^ so true :)

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Very true, pre-ordering games is indeed damaging the games industry.

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Total Biscuit reminds me of when I was a kid talking to a teacher - he makes me feel stupid in less than ten seconds!

I just cancelled my Tomb Raider and Company of Heroes 2 pre-orders - it's the right thing to do. I promise not to pre-order anything else (except Arma 3!).

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

From the review I read, the multiplayer is a bit one-sided - Marines can be upgraded using the experience gained from the single player which results in "new" marine players (having completed single player) really overpowering a "new" alien player.

19. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

while i can't speak for Tomb Raider, i can tell you from experience that COH2 will be awesome, at least multi-player wise.

20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Cancelled anyway - I actually think it will be good, but with the 'troubles' over at THQ I am a little nervous about what may (or may not) get put out the door. If it turns out to be good, I will buy it then!