1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Windows 7 - Monitor Signal Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaz_360, 10 Feb 2013.

1. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Hey everyone

I finally took the plunge to Windows 7 last week, and gave up on XP. I thought it best to also invest in an SSD, which is awesome, love how responsive everything is. However..

On the first boot of what seems to be every day I've had Windows 7 installed (about a week now), the computer POSTS fine, but once the 'Starting Windows' bit disappears, I loose all signal to my monitor, and the fans go to what sounds like 100% speed. I can't do much at this point, and am forced to re-boot. Once it's been rebooted, it's absolutely fine, works a treat, and don't have any GPU issues what so ever.

So far I tried un-installing the graphics driver, and re-installing it, but doesn't seem to have had any effect. It's the first time I've used a 64 bit OS, and was a bit curious to see how good the driver support is in comparison to a 32 bit. It's Windows 7 Professional if that helps :)

It's possible that it may well not be driver related, but as the whole system was running fine while on XP, I'm not sure which route to go down to diagnose this fault.

Any help would be very appreciated, as this is getting a wee bit annoying lol.

Thanks

Gaz :)

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Have you checked that you are using DVI slot 1 on your GPU? Some GPUs have had this issue.
    Can you set your monitor to default to DVI 1?
    Have you reset your monitor (should be guide in handbook how to do this)?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

32-bit drivers support is now the worst. "Everyone" is on 64-bit OS's. , so the best drivers are on 64-bit.

If what MSHunter hunter doesn't help:
    What you need to do is go in Safe Mode and see if you have the same problem.

Also you must remember that since Vista, the large part of the interface of Windows (and even more so in Windows 8) is fully GPU rendered. So it could be that your GPU is faulty. XP used your CPU to draw the interface except for stuff like shadow.

4. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Thanks for both replies guys, great stuff as always :thumb:

The DVI connection I'm currently using is technically on slot 1 of the card, however I can always swap it over just to try and help diagnose. Only problem is I sort of have to wait till the next day to do the 'Morning POST', as any other post through out the day seems to be fine.

I'll also have a look into how to 'reset' my monitor, and see if that helps. I'll post back once I get some results.

Thanks again :)

5. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Even if this hasn't worked, I have to say, you guys are legends!!

Just done a factory reset (Lost all colour settings, but don't really mind about this), and the whole screen is so much nicer to look at. Before some of the writing was very blurred, and in some areas the pixels weren't nice at all.

If it stays like this and solves the boot problem, I'm a happy bunny :D

6. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Managed to get a little bit further with diagnosing this issue, although it still persists unfortunately.

Managed to reset my monitor as mentioned above, have tried another DVI output and re-seated the GPU.

I've only just re-seated the GPU, so will see what it's like on the first boot tomorrow.

I'll try going into safe mode the following day, and see if the same happens then, if I have no luck with the re-seating.

Was just wondering if anyone else could think of anything to try?

Thanks

Gaz