1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Homeplug home network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by decebal_12000, 14 Feb 2013.

1. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

Did you try to stream 3D content through?

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Have you considered the fact that with the money you put on, say, four homeplugs, you can get a proper wireless router that will solve most problems you've ever had with wireless. A wireless network is also compatible across different brands, and is extensible without having to spend extra money.

Which router do you have at the moment?

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

^^ Solve all problems except higher ping.

For gamers, physical cable > homeplug >> wireless (most of the time)

4. mm vr

My main computer over wireless:

[​IMG]

My other computer over cable:

[​IMG]

Pinging the router results in 1ms in both cases.

You can improve wireless ping by disabling all power save functions on your wireless network adapter so that the radio is continuously on.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2013
  5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Do you have literally ANY proof of this outside of your personal experience? I'll be pleased to read it if so, but I have a feeling not.

6. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

So how much is a good router with firewall? something above 160£ afterwards how much is a wireless adapter , I mean a good one? Something about 30-60£ so with the same money I buy powerplugs and connect the pc`s with wires and also I don`t think I can leave my NAS on the corridor connected to my router. LOL

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Tried that with a stack of N450 stuff, not as reliable as Homeplugs for me, this is what I compared with on the other page.

I will give 11ac a shot when it come down in price as it sounds like it will offer the speed.

8. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

I'm sure you are well aware of this but if your wiring is really 60 years old, you're living in a death trap! The rubber will have perished, and a fire could start any time. Do yourself a favour and get a sparks in to have a look, pronto!

9. rollo

rollo Modder

It's due to be replaced already have the workers coming in.

They said the wiring was 28 years old might retest my homeplugs after that.

As for the wireless discussion, if you play online FPS games wireless will never be good enough.

10. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

BTW about wireless what do you do if you have sky box and you must plug into cable because doesn`t have wireless and my tv? Do I have to bring the cable from my router?Yes. So the solution is the powerplug.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

you can buy a sky wireless router for less than £10.( from sky themselves)

So no you dont need a cable, We do not have one to any of the 2 boxes in our house.

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I have bought a few high end routers, and they all have the same problem. Connection will drop off when it refreshes, resulting in ping of over 5000ms in a split second, which to anyone online gaming, can be life or death.
    I have a couple of 4yr old netgear 200mps home plugs, and they have never missed a beat. I've lost 1ms over connecting direct to the router via cable when using my home plugs. My ping sits at 15ms in BF3 on the Scan server.

13. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

How is your sky box connected to the internet?

14. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

There are several pass-thru models. This will have a male prong on end going into the wall socket, and a female socket on the back of the same homeplug - don't see why you would ever had issues with extension leads if you plan a bit ahead. If you're using it around a PC with other devices (monitor, stereo, etc) and you know you will need an extension lead- just get a pass-through unit and not worry about losing performance. They cost a tenner more, not the end of the world.

15. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

That`s what I had in my plan but another issue is I have some distance from the plug socket to my tv so I need a extension lead because i do not want to bring another 3 cables round the wall. That doesn`t concern me as for the tv, BD and sky connection will be ok the speed, but what concerns me is I need for my NAS and my PC`s to have a decent speed. I will go for the 500Mbit for the beginning and afterwards I will go for the 1000Mbit later.

16. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

I use the TP-Link 200Mbps ones, they are great. I've got a very strange flat layout (it's a converted semi detached into two flats) and the electrics are seriously old, I even have one of those old wire fuse boxes! Even with this, I get speeds of 30-40Mbps from one side of the house to the other. Once every couple of days I may have to reset them (goes down to 3mbps) but the nice thing is that they have an internal web page so I can log on to the IP of them both and reset them, it takes about 20 seconds and puts the speed up to about 100 - 110 but this eventually falls down to 30-40 and stays there.

Something in my house is causing them to drastically reduce after a few days, I'm not sure what but a 20 second job to reset them saves me the hassle of using unreliable wireless technology. I did a lot of research into this and I did find that some devices that were not built particularly well from an electronics point of view (a Nokia charger I had caused havoc) would cause a tonne of interference and really reduce my speed.

Hope that helps

17. mm vr

Wireless technology is not unreliable. The cheap devices you've been using are unreliable. A proper device will happily run 24/7 for years without any reliability issues.

I've had my Linksys WRT54G since 2005 and not once have I had to reboot it due to performance issues or freezes. Still going strong. Sadly that was one of the last proper models from Linksys. I'm going to keep it until 802.11g speeds aren't sufficient anymore.