1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best cloning software for Win8

Discussion in 'Software' started by Parge, 12 Feb 2013.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have a 500GB drive at the moment. Its filled with a 30GB install of Windows 8, and 200GB of Steam games.

I want to clone the 30GB Windows install to a 60GB SSD, and leave the Steam games on the SSD.

What is the best way of doing this? I'm thinking partition the HD into 1x 60GB and 1x 440GB parts, copy the steam files to the 440GB part, and then clone the 40GB windows install onto the new disk.

Is that the fastest way, and if so, what cloning software should I use, or is there one built into Windows 8?

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

3. ggicollegeindia

ggicollegeindia What's a Dremel?

4. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

Personally I know that Clonezilla has problems especially with the master boot record. At work I set up Fog and it works great but it is quiet a steep learning curve especially if you have never used or setup a clone server.

The easiest way would be to use Norton Ghost with a created bootable USB / CD (If the universal driver pack does not include your network drivers then you will have to download the DOS based ones and packet it into your bootable device). Then carrying out a direct clone of the system partition locally, with both Hard drives connected.

Otherwise some SSD's manufactures like Samsung include there own preferred cloning software that allows you to move system and data partitions from your old drive to your newly acquired SSD.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

DOS Network drivers? You don't even need a network connection for a disk-to-disk clone :duh:

6. VeNoM JaCKaL

VeNoM JaCKaL L4D2 nom nom time!

My bad me getting carried away with answer :blush: no network drivers unless your cloning over a network.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

0&0 also have a good one.