1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Decline of local Computer Shops

Discussion in 'General' started by TaRkA DaHl, 7 Feb 2013.

1. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

This conversation was via comments on the company's facebook wall.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Oh, I see them now :thumb:

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Yep, they aren't even privately stupid, they are openly stupid. Incredible.

4. Unicorn

Yes, it seems so. Why are such idiots allowed in this industry?! The world is so full of "computer experts" and "IT Professionals" who are actually nothing more than... well, idiots :rolleyes:

5. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Just got a pop up on my phone a new comment was posted...

First thought. I recognise that face :)

6. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

That facebook comments battle is hilarious.. comedy gold.

Personally, I frequented PC shops far more often back in the days (10-15 years ago) and loved it. It was like entering a treasure cave where I could wander back and forth for hours umming and arrring and generally having nerd-gasms. I still endeavour to do so today but you're right. Most know **** all of what they are talking about in the high-end market and it's refreshing when I meet one who does.

What I REALLY MISS - is more computer fairs. I started going to computer fairs with my dad when barely over 10 and haggling for bargains and picking up exotic parts plus making connections with shop-owners was a experience I loved for many years after.

Rule of thumb - don't profess to know anything - feel out the shop and the staff and if not satisfied, take your business elsewhere.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The local computer fair near me has declined over the years. Expensive for most items and most of it is junk or bulk buys of knock offs anyway.

The good stalls have gone and it's just not worth going anymore. Plus they rarely have any high end gear in them anyway.

8. Unicorn

;)

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I relish in the fact knowing that at least one person has tried to physically fit an ATX motherboard into that case due to their advice. :lol:

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Working and running a shop that does fix computers (as a side income, we do other electronics as well), its honestly not surprising this business is tanking. Not only are most shop owners dishonest but they try to peddle
    You other things. That said, it is hard to argue with customers who direly want to keep their old computer..

11. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

While I agree with most comments on here, what you need to remember is that there are a lot of people who don't have a clue about PC's and might not know anyone they can turn to so they are at the mercy of these shops and at the end of the day whether they know what they are doing or not they are trying to run a business so need to charge for their services. What us the consumers must do is try and find the good ones and give them our business. On a different note my dad wanted a new pc and I told him I would look round and find him one with good spec for a good price, he went and ordered one from Dell which was rubbish for the money he paid,but he is one of those people who think because its a 'well known brand' it must be good.

12. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Only place worth going here is Tailored Systems. Also had a guy that worked out of his spare room work on my machines back when I was still at school. He was called Dr Chips. Both very reasonable, friendly and knowledgeable.

I do all my own stuff now and bits for friends and family. PC world is a bloody joke, not so much the staff but the fact they have to push products on you.

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I annoy PC world staff all the time, always have done. They try and sell me software. i.e Norton and always turn them down or them try their sales pitch and then bring up a failing of Norton etc

Only time they have been useful was when I bought products not on the shelf to pick up and they found them in the stock room.

14. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Very big of you.

As a person in sales at this brand i find this attitude disgusting. I know a hell of a lot about a lot of stuff, but never do i go into other shops to annoy staff because they sell certain products. Or brandish my knowledge above them.

It's a business, Norton (as an example) is a decent solution for most customers, it's also margin rich, something that as a business you need to stay afloat (can you say goodbye comet? Largely due to the fact they didn't keep up and their service offering was next to none existent)

And while like most massive companies some staff are less than clued up, spare a thought for the ones that are. And don't be a nob and make my job more annoying than it needs to be.