1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Best wireless adaptor or router

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DavidJGray, 22 Feb 2013.

1. DavidJGray

DavidJGray What's a Dremel?

So iv recently moved my pc from one room to another, however the new room doesn't have my router in it(virgin media superhub) and iv suddenly had problems connecting and crappy speeds. Now I know superhubs wireless is notoriously crap, but I have no issues with other devices located downstairs so the only change is distance from the router, which is assume is the problem(although distance is less than 10 meters on the same floor and with no concrete walls) I think it may be the wireless adaptor on my pc, it's the asus wifi go. I think it's just crap. So do you's have any recommendations for either a new pci adaptor or a new router? I think I'm probably better with a new adaptor just now put I think I plan on getting a new router soonish too.

Cheers for any help guys :thumb:

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Router wise I'd recommend Draytek. Never had an issue with mine and only ever heard good things from other Draytek owners too.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ive also heard good things but I decided to go with the asus rt 66nu. I do get much better range than I used to get with an older belkin model.

4. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

I found this problem when I moved to my girlfriend's house (who had a BT homehub router).

Here's the solution I came up with:

I got a Wireless Access Point and connected it to the main router using a Powerline Adapter.

The WAP will basically act like a second antenna / WiFi broadcast for your router. Put the WAP in the room where you need better WiFi. Set the WAP to the same SSID and security settings as the main router, but set a different channel for the WiFi to use and you'll get seamless WiFi when walking through-out your home.

You can of-course simply use a LAN cable to connect instead of the Powerline Adapter, and I'm sure there are plenty of other WAP's out there rather than the TP-Link model I linked to... But this is my exact setup at the moment and it works wonders!

Last edited: 23 Feb 2013
  5. DavidJGray

I did consider getting the access point and powerline adaptor, however I had heard that the speeds were badly affected doing this? Is this true?

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yes and no. The current gen chipsets, such as linked above, perform much better than the 1st gen chip sets. However performance is dependant on your power cables and the distance to be covered. The only way to know how good/bad it will be for you is to take the plunge.
    My 1st gen 200mbps power line adaptors are flakey when streaming 720p mkvs and forget 1080p as it can not keep up. According to the management software the link is at around 50mbps but I doubt t is actually that good.

7. DavidJGray

Might see if I can borrow one from a friend first. If that fails then any good wireless routers or adaptors?

8. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

I think that if you get some recently released hardware - you shouldn't have any problems. (Like Andy Mc said).

Also like Andy Mc said, the power cables running through your house will affect performance. My girlfriend's house was a reasonably modern build (only about 40 years old) and the adapters worked great (I mean, I could happily play BF3 with a latency of <20ms whilst a good 25+ metres away from the router via a powerline adapter and the WAP that I linked to). However my parents house has horrific wiring and the adapters wouldn't even let me set up a connection between them - let alone actually use them for gaming...

I know it's something you obviously want to avoid (given that you primarily mentioned the use of WiFi) but there is always the option of using a very long network cable? If you route it neatly around a skirting board you'll barely know it's there and you'll get guaranteed results! (whether you run it direct to your PC or to a WAP) :)

Router-Wise I used this at the last place I lived: Billion BiPAC 7800N
    It works very well (although isn't the smallest of routers) and is stable above all others. It managed to pump it's WiFi signal through chimney breasts and all sorts, so I'm personally happy with it (This was at my parents where I was unable to set up the PowerLine adapters). I never had bad WiFi signal except when I left the building, and it was a reasonably large building (4 bed detached).

Last edited: 24 Feb 2013