1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB Keyboard not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AndyMe, 28 Feb 2013.

1. AndyMe

AndyMe What's a Dremel?

Need some Help. Got a Acer Aspire Z5771.

Bought SteelSeries 7g USB keyboard and can't get the PC to recognise it. When plugged in it installs a Generic Root Hub driver but the Keyboard will not work. Connected it to another PC and works fine. Tried reinstalling all the USB divers and also tried this from SteelSeries but nothing.
    1) Navigate to control panel -> power options (make sure the Control Panel window is set to large icon view in the top right of the window) High Performance should always be used when testing USB devices, but there is an additional setting that needs to be configured

2) Click on ‘change plan settings’ on the right side, next to High Performance

3) Under the ‘Put the Computer to Sleep’ dropdown box, select Never

4) Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’ – it will bring up the menu below. From there, expand the USB Settings section, expand the USB selective suspend setting, and select DISABLED. Hit apply and OK.

5)
    a. Open op the device manager.
    b. Uncollapse “Universal Serial Bus controllers” (USB Controller)
    c. Select one of the USB Root Hubs, right-click on it and click on “Properties”.
    d. Go to the tab “Power Management“ Uncheck the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power“
    e. Repeat c. and d. for each USB Root hub

6)Registry tweak: Enable “DisableSelectiveSuspend” in Windows 7 Link: Disable Selective Suspend

Tried Acer but because my warranty ran out in December they wont do nothing unless I pay $99.00.

Any help much appreciated

Andrew

2. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Hi Andrew,
    I'm no expert to PC Hardware and I am not familiar with the Acer model, but I can think of a few things to do:
    1. Change the keyboard to other USB ports (I'm guessing it has more than 1 port)
    2. Have you tried plugging in any other USB devices into the PC. If they don't work, then most probably the USB ports are faulty.
    3. Try connecting the keyboard via a powered USB hub to the Acer. Maybe the Acer's USB hub is not able to supply enough current to the keyboard.

I hope you can get it solved soonest.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Are you using the PS/2 to USB adaptor?

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

BIOS (or EFI?) worth a browse through. Look for anything to do with legacy USB or just anything to do with USB, and mess about with whatever settings look promising.

This method has always worked for me :thumb:

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

My money's on the NKRO not playing ball with the Acer's USB controller. I don't know enough about the 7g's connectivity options though, or whether it's possible to disable NKRO.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Are you using usb2 or 3 port, or have you tried both? Are you sure you have the correct chipset drivers installed?
    In bios make sure you have usb1 support enabled if it is an option, or hispeed and fullspeed compatibility. Many keyboards still work at usb1 or usb2 full speed sadly so you need to ensure those modes are accessible.
    Also since it is an AIO, it is like a laptop motherboard inside and like laptop often do have underpowered ports so I would also suggest giving an externally powered usb hub a try. Since keyboard works fin elsewhere it is either a driver software problem on the pc or a power issue on the usb ports most likely.

Tags: