1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: FrozenCPU: Billet Pron Bench; Sponsored by CORSAIR

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 18 Jan 2013.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@Unicorn, Thank you for tuning in and commenting! :thumb:

@Mos, I'm sure I can work something out for local supporter! :D

@avolla, ATX version of this aluminum motherboard with I/O would be outsourced to local shop, I keep everything local, so I can watch quality control.

[​IMG]

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Nice, big, meaty standoffs. The good kind of standoffs:thumb:. Bill, You sure as heck know where your mind is. unlike the rest of us :worried:

If you make this... I will have to kiss you!:lol: I sincerely hate dremeling into a tray just to route cables...

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Precisely how I would do it. :D

I expect people to be keen on this, maybe more so if you made the version you would be producing & used it in a case mod, would make an excellent addition to available parts you do & think they would sell nicely & we'll see more nice creations packing all the good details, I bet some will use them in case mods too if they are good enough to adapt them to a case, I freshly remember how much I wanted something like this when I started scratch building & it being a bit of a lottery finding a shop with lian li mobo trays, if these were available then I'd have pounced on them like Fry "shut up & take my money", :D yep I think these should sell well. :D

I've only ever had the case feet you do but I can definitely vouch for the nice & sturdy quality of them so I have no doubt these would be same awesome quality.

I like the 19mm spacers if they are female to female for clean installation with countersunk screws on other side, will give awesome space for a cable stash area & really like the bevelled edges giving a super clean fresh contrast & the PCI/IO piece is perfectly awesome with the clamp piece for expansion cards.

Looks a nice product to add especially for people who want to focus more on the looks rather than the technical bits that need awesome accuracy but would like those bits to look good too.

Me personally I'm too far gone into DIY lol but definitely if these were around before I levelled up a bit I'd have been very keen to buy these so I think on that thought there should be plenty others. :)

Simple few lines was all that was needed but nooooo ramble mode is on & I only had good stuff to say about this since this is the kinda thing I wish was available when I started. :lol::clap:

4. patara

patara life is wonderful

It is much done professional work, quality is better than the factory production, what brand of aluminum you use? which passed heat treatment has a characteristic ring, and is very well processed if during processing to water with kerosene a roughness it turns out much better

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Waynio - I had to change the GPU clamp up a bit for a back panel design. Spacers are are totally lez. :lol: I forgot about countersinking the underside screws-I mean, I was minimizing cost... Yeah, that's it. :worried:

6. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Would you have any plans to make a micro atx version if enough interest was there? Whatever i decide for my next build will be micro atx. Love the design though.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The risers look good... if you could do some in brass, I'd be interested. :D

8. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I would also be more interested in a mATX version, as the place I'd be using this for would be another wood/aluminum build, and they tend to get large in a hurry as it is :lol:

I've got that age old problem; more ideas than money lol

9. Cheapskate

@Avolla -Well, there's going to be mounting holes for M-atx... I was figuring on people being more interested in an SR2/HPTX version.

@Nexxo - That is an idea. It sounds like a lot of folks just want risers for random stuff anyway. Bill could sell them to people making a cat-O-nine-tails too if they were brass.:lol:

10. Jeti

Jeti What's a Dremel?

For an Sr-2 maybe....

Absolutely gorgeous

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Looks a bit ghastly to me.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Horrible and fairly tacky... like a Thermaltake off spawn, just thought it was interesting was all.

14. Cheapskate

I'm glad that thing wasn't shown to me earlier. Looks plasticky. If I was 8 again I'd be all over that. "Darth Vader Slumber Party Playset by Kenner." :lol:

15. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I hate it when people read my mind, like, word-for-word mind reading.:worried:

16. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@siliconfanatic, Cheaps and I have been brainstorming ideas for test benches for over a year. We still hope to bring one to market with related products like the MB tray, to save you a lot of time and offer the best rigidity available. MATX version could be very viable too.

@Waynio, great call on the spacers, cheaps sent me the revision just before I sent the drawing out for estimate, after your suggestion :thumb:

@patara, 6010 aluminum from Alcoa.. never knew about the kerosene, Thank you!

@avolla, Yes, for sure! btw: join Mos and other locals at Davannis, Richfield, on Penn, thurs nite at 7pm for Pizza and Mod Chat :D

@Nexxo, we now own a CNC Lathe, so could be very possible :naughty: ... will be few weeks before we start making these..

@Jeta, yeees, great reference :D ...our ATX version is even sexier, I'm excited!

@Mankz, Interesting design, but I imagine it's very flimsy...

@Crapman, Thank you for dropping in and commenting!

@Cheaps, I would like to make that saturday morning commercial :worried:

Started assmebly of the top cover. The side windows are 1/4" thick Transparent Light Blue with "FrozenCPU" engraved logo and 1/8" thick aluminum frame work. The cover is constructed from 30 aluminum ribs with individual spacers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Livio likes this.
  17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Skibadebibade blah blah wow that is awesome. :jawdrop::jawdrop::hip::D

Holy sheet. :rock::D

Totally got the Homer drool face on. :D

18. flix

flix Minimodder

Wow, thats awesome.

19. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Moar pr0n,please. :D

20. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

That looks amazing! The craftsmanship is stunning. Wish I had the tools and time to do something half this good.

I'd love to go to the meeting tomorrow but I'm in Fargo and it's a little bit of a drive to get down there. Not to mention I work the night shift and I couldn't get off for it. I'm hoping to have something to show off for the November meeting but make no promises.

Keep up the great work.