1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Email spoofing ! can i stop it

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mr Happy, 4 Mar 2013.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hello all

Not 100% sure if i was in the right section but it is the one i thought best.

So this morning i manage to see my inbox is overwhelmed with "postmaster failed" reply's, there is close to 100 of the damn things that started early in the morning!

Now i dont think my account has been hacked as such but have changed my password and scanned my PC with Avast and malwarebytes, both report nothing wrong

My problem is that my bosses at work and colleagues are receiving spam with my email address, this does not look to good for me even though they will be aware it is not my fault

Can anything be done to stop this? Any tips?

Thank you :thumb:

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I think you've done all the right things - change to a new, highly secure password and run a range of different antivirus / malware to ensure you've not got anything on your PC... That and keep an eye out for other suspicious activity - you could add your own email address (or a secondary email address) so that if it happens again you would receive the spam email yourself straight away...

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks GeorgeK :thumb:

4. squirrelz

squirrelz What's a Dremel?

Whether you can do any more depends on whether you run your own mail domain mainly. If you are, you can reduce email spoofing by setting up SPF records for your domain. If not, you're reliant on your email provider doing it.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks squirrelz

6. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Don't forget Mobile device's especially Android's Lots of malware used on that platform to either capture details and relay or spoof from.

7. Ollie1807

Ollie1807 What's a Dremel?

Was this on Gmail by any chance? Same thing happened to me yesterday - was quite worried for a while until I realised it's probably just spoofing and changed my password.

8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Hi,

Is this your own domain or is this a free domain, eg( mydomain.com or hotmail.com)

If it is your own domain you can implement something called an SPF record, which can be verified at the receiving end to check if the e-mail is genuine or not. It basically is a list of places where your domain can have e-mail sent from, so for example one of my clients has this:

- Their Exchange server

- The e-mail spam filtering service

- The relay we use for the DR system

Before we implemented this one of the members of staff was continuously getting spam e-mail sent to them from themselves. After we implemented the SPF record on the dns it stopped these e-mails and they went straight into her junk (due to the way we configured it to handle bad spf records)

Microsoft has a generator of SPF records which is extremely useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/

Hope this helps

DT.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks guys

Getting in touch with BT to see if they can sort anything out

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Same thing has happened to my gf and mum, only a couple of times though. Different email providers abd notging on their pcs or anything in their sent emails.

Passwords changed and various scans. Very annoying.