1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics RIP BFG GTX 285 OCX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sni9er, 6 Mar 2013.

1. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

well last night while running a render i had a BSOD upon reboot both 285's were showing the dreaded error code 43, as they were running in SLI i suspected windows just figured they were both dead so anyway after uninstalling all related drivers and doing a HW rescan my secondary card is showing as the true culprit .. dead

Strangely enough just before i did this rebuild last week i ran a 20 min burn in test with fur mark no issues, but i suppose you cant know whats around the corner

has anyone else received the dreaded code of doom and been able to recover ?

I've considered it to be a hardware fault, and will probably attempt a re flow before selling my primary 285 and grabbing a new GPU

for those rare few out there who have re-flowed, did you selectively re flow just the GPU or the entire board

if anyone has any knowledge of success i may reball the GPU if that's a known failure point

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've reflowed quite a few cards! Just take the cooler etc off, and follow the instructions to the letter. DONT leave it in too long!

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Don't all BFG cards have a lifetime warranty?:D

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Evil git

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Bake it?

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bahahaha.

I'm allowed to laugh, because my BFG card went up in smoke just before they closed. I RMA'd it and they sent the exact same card back without working on it!

7. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

:waah:

[​IMG]

8. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

I think i will attempt a reflow of the core first and then as a last ditch reflow the entire board

also does anyone know if BFG would have been using leaded or lead free ? (pre/post ROHS) as this will ultimately decide the liquidus temperature (approx 230 vs 220)

i cant even remember the release date of the 285 ocx haha, if no one knows i'll just use a profile to fit PB-free

my prospective reflow chart:

[​IMG]