1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Which Remote?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 7 Mar 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

This is more for my bedroom/gaming pc, but thought it best to fit into this forum category...

I have been using an Antek Veris to control mainly the volume of pc from my bed, so that I can listen to music at night.

It works, but the iMon software (Soundgraph) is a bit fiddly and seems to be conflicting with my Logitech G19 keyboard - the G keys keep failing when then iMon software is installed.

I am looking for an alternative, maybe a Microsoft one which would work direct with the OS and not need drivers?

I really only need volume, screen off, and maybe a way of launching a web browser with BBC iPlayer radio station so that I can listen to the radio from my bed in the morning (yeah yeah I know, Lazy!).

Any suggestions?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Do you happen to have an iPod/iPhone or Android device? If so there are some decent free apps for such task. Otherwise if not maybe something like the Rii mini. Since it is recognized as just another standard keyboard hid device it shouldn't cause any strange conflicts.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

unified remote for Andriod/ http://www.unifiedremote.com/
    free is find for direct control and there are nice perks for premium version. I use on our HTPC/HP Micro server.

4. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Thanks, will have a look at the android alternatives. Only trouble is I usually leave my phone on charge next to the pc...

I use TeamViewer for remote support usually and have used it to control pc from phone or tablet.

What are the physical alternatives?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

An MCE remote might do it - does the VERIS recognise MCE commands, do you know?

6. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

No unfortunately the Veris needs it's own bit of software - iMon - it's this bit of software that clashes with the logitech software.

All I really need is a volume control.

Do the MCE remotes need any software or do they work direct with the OS?

7. Max Tractor

Max Tractor Minimodder

No software, just plug it in. What is your sound going through out?

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

You just need an MCE remote and receiver - I've not got a spare though, I'm afraid. Could tickle the 'bay?