1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress the blue line - Team Sky Pro Cycling - NZXT Switch 810 - TWO UPDATES (Sept 11th 2013)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slacka, 19 Dec 2012.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Well that's just plain awesome is what that is.

2. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

I had my suspicions that you were going to something like that with the water bottle cage. Not going to lie, that looks amazing. Great idea and great execution. Keep it up.

3. XNine

XNine What's a Dremel?

AHAHA! That is some awesome work! Love the res holder!

Plus, I approve of all of the watercooling hardware. You're using the some of the best out there!

4. WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech Macmodder Addict

FANTASTIC work - very clean, and the blue is really breaking up the usual black and white themes I see!

So one question.....where are the wheels going???

5. slacka

slacka What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone for the great comments and support! It's much appreciated. :clap:

@WhatTheTech - No wheels, but you'd be surprised what bike things I'm trying to squeeze in to this build! :D

Busy working on the next part.... back soon! :thumb:

Cheers
    Adi

6. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

The resevoir, omg such an amazing idea! I love the perfection of your mod, brilliant!!

7. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

I absolutely love the res mount, pure genius there!

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Loving the theme and look.

One quick point, you know that team Sky switched from Adidas to Rapha for his season?

9. slacka

slacka What's a Dremel?

Thanks yodasarmpit (good name!).

Yes, I do know about the change of kit supplier. I've already got some of the Rapha gear. As I said in my very first post, this build is a tribute to the team and how they did so well in the 2012 season when they were wearing the Adidas kit at that time.

Cheers
    Adi

10. slacka

slacka What's a Dremel?

Just a quick post to say that I haven't forgotten about this build despite the lack of posts recently!

A combination of a bad back and a 40th birthday has meant I've not been able to get on with things lately, but it's all go again now so there should be a proper update in the next few days....

BTW does anyone know what happens if your project log thread 'drops off the end' of the project log forum? My thread was only 4 from the bottom. Do they get moved to the 'Modding' forum or just hidden until you post on the thread again?

Thanks
    Adi

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Your post/thread remains in Project Logs, just further down on a subsequent page

12. slacka

slacka What's a Dremel?

Thanks yodasarmpit, but I only ever see 4 pages of threads. What happens if it goes off the bottom of page 4?

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

If you select page 4 then further pages will be made available.

Do you not have the option to select beyond 4 as in the screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 6 Apr 2013
  14. konda

konda What's a Dremel?

By default the forum only displays threads that have been active in the last month. You can change that in the drop down menu under the red circle in yodas screenshot.

Your project looks great so far, can't wait for the next update!

15. slacka

slacka What's a Dremel?

Thanks Konda. Just as you posted that I found the threads from 'this month only' filter!! Guess I should have looked a bit harder! Thanks to all who helped out.

Cheers
    Adi

16. XNine

XNine What's a Dremel?

Hope you feel better soon and can get back to working on the project. Don't give up! It's looking sweet!

17. slacka

slacka What's a Dremel?

Update #7 - May 28th, 2013 - Back panel

Well after a massive gap in this project log for nearly 3 months, spanning over my 40th birthday, the build is back on! Hope the wait has been worth it for you guys with this update....

I started to tackle the back panel that I mentioned I wasn't keen on in the first post of this log. I wasn't a fan of the 4 watercooling grommets or the oversized fan grill (it fits 120mm and 140mm fans) which protruded out the rear of the case. So first job was to get rid of them with the Dremel! :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then with another sheet of 1.5mm aluminium I made a new exterior panel which was going to be riveted to the remaining frame of the back panel. With the side panels on I was able to create a template from which to cut the aluminium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to incorporate the bike theme again on the back panel and so after much searching for the right type and size, I found a cycle chainset which would act as a rear fan grill/surround. For those interested in bikes, it's a Stronglight 34T chainring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After much lining up, measuring and double-checking of fan mounts, clearance, etc I marked up the back panel and put in some of the rivnuts to hold the bolts that would fix the chainring to the panel.

[​IMG]

Then for the real tricky part, cutting out the blowhole for the fan itself leaving the 5 rivnut sections intact. I started with a drill to make cutting holes, then used the jigsaw, followed by plenty of filing to make the fan hole outline match that of the chainring.

[​IMG]

Of course, putting a new exterior panel over the cutout sections of the existing rear panel was still going to leave the missing sections visible so I fashioned an interior panel from the same aluminium to cover the inside.

[​IMG]

I spray painted both panels to cover all edges that would be exposed (the main surfaces would be wrapped in dinoc). I also sprayed the rear PCI slot covers and tested out on a fan.

[​IMG]

As I began spraying I started to realise how much the internals of the case had been scuffed and scratched along the way, so I started to touch up the grazes with the spray can. However, I was struggling to gain access to all the tight areas and so without really thinking it through, 30 minutes later with a drill and a screwdriver and I'd somehow dismantled every single panel of the case! :duh: Oh well, at least I could spray away all those marks now.... :thumb:

[​IMG]

Back to the rear panel and with the edges painted, I wrapped both exterior and interior panels with the white carbon dinoc. I added the painted PCI slot covers, and a custom decal I created (just with MS Paint) so that the build would have my project logo and name on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was worried about the chainring vibrating and making extra noise with the rear exhaust fan working so I fixed it to the rear panel with some rubber washers.

[​IMG]

I decided to replace all of the the internal-facing fans with all-white BitFenix Spectre fans. A plain and simple 120mm for the rear exhaust, 3 x 120mm PWMs for the 360mm radiator in the roof and 2 x 140mm intake fans for the front of the case. Sleeving all these will come much later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naturally I gave the rear exhaust fan the same custom decal treatment! Once finished and mounted on to the exterior rear panel, I fixed both the new exterior and interior panels to the existing rear panel with white rivets. I have sprayed the motherboard IO shield white as well but that's not shown in the photos.

That's it for this update. I'll leave you with a few shots of how the finished panel looks. I promise the next update won't take as long as this one!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

awsome work man, that chaincog looks awsome implemented to the build !

19. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I'd just like to say thank you for resizing your pictures. I can't stand it when people post long lines of full-res pics. Means when I load up the page on a tablet the thing has to dance around for a minute before I can actually read any progress or view the post I wanted to.

Second point, really loving how this is turning out. It's so far supremely clean, there's a great simplicity to it, which is deceptive as you've put a lot of work in. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

20. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I really like the use of the gear. The stickers are a nice little addition also.