1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Wooden PC case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by motas, 6 Mar 2013.

1. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Hey. Just had an idea for a case and was wondering if you think it would look any good. We recently re did ALL the fencing on our farm and pulled out some very old fence posts. The old rectangle type. My parents are planning to feature this on our new house as a bench top I think and it got me thinking could some of it be used for a mitx case? What if I cut one in half (too long otherwise) and routed a section out to fit the hardware in and then covered the whole top section in acrylic to enclose it? Or alternatively use the half that was cut off to enclose it making a thicker case with no window. Not sure exactly how wide the fence posts are but it should be wide enough for the motherboard.
    Have plenty of the material to use for free, just not sure how good the mix of old and new would materials would be. Ie old wood, modern acrylic and electronics.
    For reference it is this kind of wood but was wire fencing not post and rail.
    Any thoughts?

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I don't know you, or your experience, or your available tools, but your post leads me to believe you haven't worked with wood a lot, or at least, on this kind of projects.

Like many mods, this is a splendid idea. And like all mods, the result depends on how much work you put in, much more than the idea. So, if you are ready to put a decent number of hours into this, it can become a piece of art. If all you do is take a router to a piece of wood and slap some acrylic on, that's exactly what you'll get: a hollowed out piece of wood with some plastic on.
    If you take your time, plan your mod well and listen to advice, to be implemented or not, but always considered, you can make something out of this.

On the idea itself: I like it. Keep in mind that if your posts are as weathered as the picture suggests, you'll have to choose your piece well, and coat it in something to protect it; some kind of varnisch or so. Cabling is important, as you are going for looks, not practicallity. Think about it before starting to drill. Consider polishing part or whole of the wood. Think about lighting, you don't want a piece of wood with a dark hole in. Think about cooling. It doesn't have to be active, but an airtight box is not a good idea, even for a mitx.

Do some sketches, throw them on here. Hopefully you'll get some comments, some things to consider, some things to reject. Begin your journey and end it proudly, richer a computer, a piece of art, and an experience.

Good luck

3. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

You are correct I have no experience with woodwork like this. I do have a reasonable amount of experience with woodwork though I've built a few things but mostly out of ply or mdf and never to look good without covering it (carpet or paint).
    The posts are very weathered. They have been sitting outside for at least 50 years and are now stacked in a paddock. You obviously have a better idea than me but does it need protection? Since it has already been out for so long I can't see it getting worse in a protected environment.
    Can I polish this wood? It is a very rough piece and I think if I tried to polish it pieces would fall off. I think it could look better without polish or varnish though to keep it a very raw look.
    Cooling is a hard one and i really have no idea where to put fans while still looking good. Water cooling would be nice but radiator mounting would be an issue.
    I have an idea of what to do so ill post a sketchup later but no way to accurately draw this weathered wood.
    Thanks.

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

As strange as it sounds, the inside of a home is a much less forgiving place than outside. This is to be understood in two ways:
    For one, it is much more touched, cleaned, shoved, bumped against, dropped on, and generally interacted with.
    For two, if a cow bumps against a fencepost on its way to greener grass, and part of the more fragile wood breaks off or crumbles away, nobody cares as long as the core is still strong enough to keep the post and fence upright. On a project you put your soul in, however, you don't want any bumps breaking of a piece until only the non-rotten core remains. So while the actual physical damage outside is greater, the percieved one is much smaller.

And when I was talking about polishing, I was thinking of the part you put your board on/in, as that has to be healty wood, to give your electronics some kind of survival chance when accidents happen.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2013
  5. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

only idea that comes to mind is to build a small case from plexi and 'put' that into the piece of your choosing. otherwise not sure how i'd do it. good luck though!

6. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

So, can we have some pictures of the wood? And how is the sketchup coming along?

7. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Will get some pictures of the wood when I'm there next, as for the sketchup I haven't started. Been busy with school. Won't take me long once I get started though so ill post pics when i can.