1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Believe me as the 'citys' get larger it does get much harder to run. I managed to get my city to 100,000 pop, but to run all the utilities at that much pop requires bumping up the taxes... and then my city collapsed because apparently 13% tax rate is really high... however to get the next level of city hall you need 290,000 pop, I really can't see how you could manage that tbh. Also my city had this annoying cliff in it, which literally made the city have about 10%+ less space to build... just because of a cliff... but yeh, I'm still having fun though :)

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

3. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Managed to get a few hours in and am enjoying it. Need to re-think my strategy with certain things but I'm getting there.

One thing though can anyone enlighten me on how to upgrade my roads please with bulldozing it (if that's even possible)? I know you can't go from street to avenue but nothing I tried seemed to do the job.

4. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

There is a button under the curved roads buttons. Click that then click a road.

I've gotten in about 12 hours of game play. Made a city to about 140,000 people, earned up to about 1.4 mil, and just feel like there is nothing else to do. I'm bored already... lol

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

"got tiny cities, need more space, EA's here to help for only $29.99 you can buy more land to make that perfect city you dreamed of"

Anyone see this coming

F**K YOU EA

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup, yup can totally see it coming.

Want subways? **** you, DLC

Want to mod your game? **** you, DLC

Want to do anything else? DLC

Want offline play? LOLERWAFFLES.

Everything has put me off this so far. I was so looking forward to it as well :/

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

The only reason i ever got the internet, was because i was forced into it, as games started needing online activation, which totally peed me off.

I could never really afford a net connection and its not fun paying for it even though i pay 1/2 with someone else.

So this kind of activity now is atrocious i feel.

Sadly i cant see gaming going back to the :

1: buy game
    2; instal game
    3; play game with 50 hours min gameplay.

So i do feel for those that still love to game but have all these obstacles now.

Seems like greed if you ask me, especially in times where games for most people is a luxury and if we cant afford, it will end up more businesses failing.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I managed to get on and play for an hour or so this morning, was building up a dirty industrial town and it was going quite well.

But then I had to go cook a fry-up and since then, got disconnected, and all the later risers have got up and started playing so I can't get on :(

I don't mind always online play, but only if it doesn't cause problems with me playing the game

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Decent mass transit was an "expansion pack" for SimCity 4, and nobody complained. Just because it's called DLC now, why is that any different? Frankly, all this whinging about DLC is annoying - it has been around for decades, but it just used to come on a disk rather than a download.

Day 1 DLC is the only type that annoys me. However, if a game launches without features (ie: more mass transit options, larger city sizes) and the developer then has to spend another six months plus altering the game to put them in, then it is perfectly valid. Sure, EA/Maxis could have launched the game with this stuff built in, but in September or later, rather than now. Plus they do need to get paid for that extra work, no?

I'm really enjoying SimCity. It looks great, and is actually very challenging when you get up in population size and start thinking about region play. I had to queue for 20mins last night to get in, but that is the only server issue I have run in to. I couldn't care less that there will be future DLC - I'll either buy it or I won't, just like I have done for every other game expansion ever. I couldn't give a crap about the always on requirement, who exactly is using 56k modems these days anyway? Even if you're out in the rural sticks a terrible ADSL connection is still enough to fill the requirement and play.

Okay, I can't play SimCity on a train, but then I don't think I'd ever want to.

10. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Those of is at boarding schools, uni and serving in the miltery will often not have a connection pr if they fo the correct ports will be blocked

Surely they should not be punished and not allowed to play?

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Err, every university student I know (and I am one, admittedly older than most) who is in halls using the provided internet can play games absolutely fine, and everybody in private accommodation has internet access,. As for those in the military, they've either got a home to go to if based in the UK or if overseas I somewhat doubt they'll be wanting to play SimCity when deployed (plus they can play it when they get back!).

I think the boarding school market is pretty minimal, and likely a similar situation to university residential connections.

12. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Add me to the list please "eVoPhantom" :D. Have not ventured out into a public region, what is the general consensus on interactions so far? Come across the normal trolls?

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

14. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Well I went to a boarding school, and have just left the miltery to go to uni :D

The boarding house used the school connection, only http and https ports available.

As for the army, most of us live in barracks as home is the outher end of the country and often there os only the MOD connection. As for when abroad, loads of time is spent sat around messing on tne laptop or xbox. Belive me we doneant to play games like SimCity to take rhe mind off outher things. Surely you dont expect miltery personel to stop having fun when abroad?

15. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Is anyone else having trouble with garbage collection? It seems no matter what I do there is always a 100 or so dustbins that don't get collected... even though on my garbage map it shows no rubbish is left. Expanding my rubbish tip with more land and more trucks seems to make no difference... It's just annoying me as they are constantly protesting about it.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

SimCity doesn't really have any port requirements, it just uses the standard HTTP ones

People who bought SimCity are going to get a free game on Origin for their troubles

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So basically you're the absolute minority. EA didn't implement always-on just because, it's there to offload a bunch of processing to the servers (especially region and global stuff) which allows lower spec computers to play the game. They may alienate a few special users like yourself with odd connections, but they open up to the masses of computer owners with a PC World box from five years ago.

18. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Well a minority we may be but the only point I disagree with you is the point that stable internet connections are ubiquitous. I just don't buy the whole argument that its anything but DRM. Its an example of punish the paying user, and its gone tits up

19. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

So how come if the connection dies the game will run fine until it is time to save/sync?

20. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Does that mean if you buy and activate SimCity before 18th March you can get ANY EA AAA title free? With an offer like that there must be a tonne of T&Cs somewhere. Two games for £45 seems a bit more reasonable.