1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Looks awesome Ivan, you're persuading me in to white on black doubleshots now. :D

2. KidMod-Southpaw

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Have replied :D

Kovoet likes this.
  4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

5. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

seriously, you're going to tell ALL ghers?

6. KidMod-Southpaw

7. longweight

If I only posted it here it would get posted over there too very quickly, unless everyone already does it? I haven't ever seen anyone discuss it but I see people allude to it regularly.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Anyone know if there's a full keycap set with the same design as the techkeys dice set?

9. longweight

Not yet but it will happen soon I would imagine.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yeah I imagine it is only a matter of time before someone makes a groupbuy for full polycarb doubleshot sets. There were some poly full sets around last year from some Asian source in blanks.

11. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

12. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, so my new pc doesn't have a ps/2 connector so I have been reduced to using a nasty flexible keyboard for gaming on TF2. Obviously it is rubbish and is killing my hand! :(

I was about to buy an MS Sidewinder X4 but are there any cheap mechanical ones for not too much more money I should consider picking up in the UK? Maybe around the £60 mark?

13. GeorgeK

Any particular requirements for it? e.g. Full size or tenkeyless (TKL), backlighting (probably not for £60), type of switch etc. For about that money your best best would either be:

One of the CM Storm TKL range from scan - link ~£60-70 (you'll need to filter by Coolermaster)

Steelseries 6Gv2 from ASDA (full size) - link £50

One of the full size Duckys from CCL - link ~£70

Personally I'd go for the CM Storm Quickfire with Reds for that sort of money :thumb: (this one)

GK

firestarter03 likes this.
  14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Get the Ducky Zero if you need the numpad, or the Quickfire Rapid if you don't. I recommend browns as a starting switch.

firestarter03 likes this.
  15. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

Tenkeyless would be fine as I don't use the number pad really although probably not too compact. Not bothered by backlighting either, plus I know they get expensive when you add that! Thanks for those links that is extremely helpful +rep

Thanks, I haven't even typed on a mech before. I have no idea about the switches, only that I wouldn't want them to be too loud.

Been looking through this thread a bit. Loving the Iron Man caps! I take it you could switch out caps in the future if required on any of those boards?

Thanks. :thumb:

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

Just a note on the quickfire rapid that George linked, it will be a UK ISO layout rather than the US ANSI in the picture as I don't believe there are any official product images for the UK layout.

I am not sure what the status of the branding is on the boards with a black case. I know the ones with a grey case have significantly toned down the branding to look something like this http://i.imgur.com/WXYIf.jpg?1

Edit: excuse the horrific picture it is from my now antique HTC Desire, I got some awesome green PBT keys. They are a pretty unusual green, almost have a glow to them in the light.

[​IMG]

This pic makes them look really minty but they are much greener than that in flesh plastic.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2013
  17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

At the risk of sounding like a troll (not my intention), is there a practical application for those HHKB type of boards over a TKL or full board; other than "cuteness factor"?

TKL makes perfect sense if you're struggling for space, or have no need for a numpad; but going smaller seems like a compromise too far - I'm thinking of additional keystrokes/key combos for run of the mill things like cursor and F keys.

18. GeorgeK

Portability is a big factor. Also, since pokers are pcb mount they're much easier to modify than plate mounts.

19. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

For me, I love 60% as I almost never use the function, cursor, etc keys anyway so I don't miss them at all. Occasional use of Fn layer is no bother. I'm primarily gaming and just straight up typing. Also I get to have my mouse that much closer which I find most comfortable.

20. KidMod-Southpaw

That. I'd never go back to anything larger than a 60% now.