1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Somebody send me the password and team please guys

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Right sorry about that but have now registered waiting for you guys now

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

5. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Two more members of the Fantasy League. Welcome!

Configure your team and you will show up in the League when Hilton refresh it (up to 24 hours)

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thanks bud.

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Those of you "blessed" with Sky Sports F1 and insomnia can watch free practices 1 and 2 tonight at 1am and 5:15am GMT respectively. After which we should all have a slightly better idea of the relative pace of the teams, which should prove useful for Fantasy F1 purposes.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

"Relative pace of teams"
    Here's what I see:

McLaren are having issues. Unless they have magical sandbags that make their car look rubbish through corners, they have some real issues. Let's hope they can develop their way out of them.

Red Bull are undoubtedly the team to beat. The RB9 is planted and controlled, and quite clearly quick.

Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus are still "question marked" in my books. they seem VERY close together, but only time will tell.

Worryingly, it seems that (with the weather in Oz being what it is now) the super soft tyre wears quite severely, with drivers posting quick S1 and S2 times, and then S3 times that are slower than on the prime. This spells bad news for qualifying.
    9 Laps, maybe ten, and the tyre looks shot to bits. Slower than the prime at that point.
    If the Super soft is really like that, watch teams not run in Q3. If they really only have one or two quick laps in them, they're likely to be used for the very last stint, when the car is light.

Quite concerning is that BOTH mercs ended FP2 in the gravel, Rosberg wit "possibly a gearbox problem" and Hamilton with "I'm in the gravel. Something wrong with the car"... :-/

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

F***ing Fingers on top again. :grr:

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I am talking with a mate of mine that I have F1 discussions with a LOT about starting a comedy F1 site...
    Mainly a comedic look at F1, featuring headlines people actually WANT to read.
    Examples would be:
    Button on top in Melbourne as Vettel starts crying.
    Vettel breaks right index finger.
    Kimi on top again
    Alonso wins WDC in June

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Mmmm... Interesting results from the first session, not conclusive yet though!

Quali looks rainy, which should hide pace differences, chances are we'll have to wait another week to see balls-out quali speed.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Vettel looks untouchable in the dry watched fp1 last night, the car looks quicker around the corners than most of the field.

Mclaren are in alot of trouble and will struggle to make q3.

Most commentators where saying vettel or Hamilton will get pole in dry as he was quicker before the car ended up in gravel.

Worrying first 2 sessions and that's without red bull turning the engines to max pole will be in the 1.24s this year and I'm not sure anything but a redbull pole Is to be expected in dry.

Hope it does not rain would prefer to see what outright pace the cars have.

I know bookmakers halved the odds on a 4th vettel crown this morning and they sadly rarely get it wrong.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I also hope it doesn't rain.
    I want to see how those supersofts play out...

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

McLarens 9th/11th in FP1 and 11th and 13th in FP2, ouch!

That's not promising, Red Bull on the other hand look to be out to destroy, which is even less promising.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

McLaren have admitted they might not make q3 begs the question what were they thinking with not continuing with there older car.

Drivers champ and contructors will be done and dusted before they get it fixed.

Sponsors won't be happy.

Lets hope the merc is as quick as the commentators think it is or it will be a very long and boring season.

16. lava

lava Minimodder

I'll try and catch a replay of the practice sessions after work, i seen very little of any build up to the new season (which bodes well for the hhonors league :D)

Just joined the league as "Al3solut Drunks" (an old FF team name i've had for years and my creative spark seems to have deserted me today)

Alarms set for Sunday morning, hoping for a good start to the new season :rock:

17. Krikkit

You really think it's going to be game over that quickly? Mac have openly said their new steed is going to be a bit tricky to start with, but gives them much more scope for adjustment this year. I'd expect them to be back on it in a couple of races if it's as simple as setup difficulties.

Aero problems, of course, will be much longer.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

For mclaren they need to hope button gets top 5 finishes and someone but vettel wins the races till they catch up.

Even assuming its 4-5 races they could be 80-90 points down in both champs by then which is just too much of a gap to claw back.

As a big mclaren fan I was expecting better I'm just hoping they are not as far away as they were in p2 2.1 seconds back is just huge.

P3 and quali this morning will show us how far they are behind.

19. Krikkit

They won't be 2 seconds off, not unless the bulls have been doing some epic sandbagging anyway!

I don't think we'll see ultimate dry pace this weekend from the sound of the weather.

20. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Fantasy F1 Leaguers: you have until 5pm UK time (3 hours from now) to finalise your config for this weekend's GP :)