1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

I was trying to hold out on this game, just bought it from tescos for £32.50 to find out i took out and sold my dvd drive. Luckily you can download it through Origin!

Anybody want to add me as I'm a bit of a billy at the moment.

Origin name : cravinpenut

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I'm starting to take Eurogamer with a monstrous pinch of salt. Their writers seem to pander to their community's hatred of EA (in a similar way that Bit-tech pander to the community hatred of Activision, might I add....)

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Whether or not that is the case... everything they said is pretty much true!

4. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

I was holding off on this as well but have succumbed. Downloaded but not starting playing yet!

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You got to love those traffic issues...
    [​IMG]
    On right side you can see the left edge of my city (the entrance to the city from highway is near the right side of the city, so you can imagine how much more road is there). And yep, traffic jam is through the entrance to the next city and halfway to the city next to it :D. I guess this is the result of the fact, that i decide to create a mostly residential city with only very small commercial and industry sector, and i get power, water and sewage services from my other city (that is the one in top left corner).

Train doesn't help much either, the avenues to it (both) have traffic jams as well :lol:.

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Airport? More trains, using the railroad tracks to less congested parts of your city?

7. faugusztin

There is really no way for more trains, and trains aren't the issue - it is the access roads which get full. Same for that traffic jam you see above. It is not the city itself problematic, it is the entrance from the highway to the city which gets full at first junction.

Airport doesn't help that much if the city they are commuting to doesn't have one :D

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

True.

I need to add an airport to my second city.

BTW good city name.

Also, why can't we add roads to the existing regional!!! Its really annoying.

9. faugusztin

I am just naming my cities with various names starting with A, this was the second one which come in my mind.

Anyway, i am pretty satisfied with this city so far, it was ~100k people in it, while about 30% of the space is still unused and many of the current houses are going to be upgraded over the time ;).

But i wish i would play in better place, there are only 2 other cities except my two cities which are 50k+, the rest is left to rot i guess :wallbash:.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I have a terrible traffic jam in my hi tech industry city, it only has a population of 20k but there are 14k unfulfilled jobs, so lots of people from the region commute to it.

To try and counter the impact, I did a complete rezone of all major routes, adding a 6 lane ring road to encircle my city and around my "spine road", also removing many of the links from lesser roads to try and force traffic is a certain direction. It made "city entrance" traffic better but created internal chaos.

That city also has a fully upgraded shuttle bus station, municipal bus station, 2 ferry ports, 2 train stations and a good selection of park and rides and street cars up the spine road.

I have another city with 5 times the population but not even half as bad traffic problems.

I think until the traffic logic is fixed, we will get these problems in commuter cities.
    Edit - traffic patch info:
    http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-8

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Meh, Eurogamer's review was exactly what I expected - one that catered to the internet 'outrage' over EA and the launch, rather than actual game issues. Yes, SimCity has bugs, but Maxis seem to be well aware of them and are going to fix them (such as the pathing).

The core of the game is fine, and works well. It simply needs some fixes and tweaks to make it work better in the late stages. Diablo 3 is still undergoing constant balances, and other games get new levels caps etc (Skyrim...). Is that worth 4/10? No!

Polygon are also proving themselves to be after the quick hits - they published daily "score updates" to their 9.5 review, dropping to 8 and then 4 over two days due to the server issues. Now the servers are stable have they been as fast as to revisit the score? Nope!

12. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

*I Have not played the game*

Honestly, the game looks good, Maxis did a good job with the game, despite the bereaucracy of EA.

I've been trying to follow this entire debacle from the get-go, from various news sources and straight from the guys behind Maxis and EA.

Everything points to EA, once again, DESTROYING anything the come near.

13. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Diablo 3 could be done similarly.

No one cared and the whole we want offline mode disappeared in 2-3 weeks.

Ea will expect a similar thing from this I'd imagine.

Personally don't care either way as I have a perm internet connection. Also not experienced any issues since launch week.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

17. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Agree, i don't care much either, i have a good connection, but there are some with poor internet and at times no connection, not fair on that customer!

what is needed is a pain free way of stopping piracy that works, i am not sure it is that easy though

18. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I am having some trouble with my big project. I am planning to build a habitat and have paid for it. But none of my goods are arriving there and I am not making any progress? Do I need to connect to it or anything? I have pressed the "on buttons" on the goods I am supposed to provide.

19. phidelta42

phidelta42 What's a Dremel?

You need the relevant resources set to use internally.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

All he has done is make sure EA blocks all mod paths by showing this sort of stuff, as ea is bad in many areas but they are quick to clamp down on abuse and that's what the above entails.

Personally was hoping one day we could add in our own mods enough dout it will happen.

Guild wars 2 still refuses to allow mods for similar reasons.

The sad truth is PC piracy has forced the hands on developers of the 3 biggest PC releases in the last 2 years.

Sim city, Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2 into taking more drastic action than would ever normally be needed.

Since none of these games have ever made a torrent site they have been successful in there task at stopping piracy.

Wether it's good for the consumer seems like mute point in all this but Diablo has sold 8-10mil copy's so I dout activision cares less. Sim city sales are ment to be high and sc2 were high also.

This maybe the future of our PC gaming and all the pirates out there help create it.