1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks ADSL Modem -> Router Disconnects

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bluespider42, 15 Mar 2013.

1. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

I have a BT phone line and my internet is supplied by TalkTalk. I have been using an Asus RT-56U router connected to a Vigor 120 ADSL Modem.

My internet keeps on disconnecting and I can't figure out why.
    The connection seems to work fine using the talktalk supplied Huawei modem/router and with just the Vigor 120 plugged straight into my pc.

Sometimes my connection lasts a whole evening but recently it's been dropping about every five minutes which is getting pretty annoying. Restarting both the modem and router usually get the connection back. ASUS support say it's probably a hardware problem and I should get in contact with my retailer, however I'm not totally convinced. Interestingly the connection has never dropped during a Skype call.

Anyone any smart ideas?

2. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

What is between the master socket and the router? ..& what is the distance?

Has this only started recently?

3. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

extension lead and filter approx. 4m.

I had this setup for about six months working perfectly, then I moved house and kept my talktalk contract. As soon as I asked talktalk to move my contract it started playing up (September 2012) but didn't do anything about it as I was about to move out. New house - a few weeks of really terrible internet then it settled down but with the problem as described. Moved house yet again (Jan 2013) kept the same talktalk contract. Same problem, however recently the time between dropped connections is down to about 5 minutes when before it would last a couple of hours.

4. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

In order:

Try plugging the router directly into the master socket to rule out the extension lead.

Try changing the filter to rule out the filter.

Check router stats: Attenuation, SNR, CRC/HEC etc ..to see if there is anything obvious.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if the Huawei works fine and stays connected, but the vigor doesn't then it does point to a problem with the vigor, make sure the vigor doesn't get too hot.

some people stack one on top of the other, if there isn't good airflow the modem can overheat, this will cause it to crash, resulting in dropped connection, restarting brings the connection back again.

when they start to fail, it's probably time to change it.

6. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

The vigor is fine when used on its own, its just when using it with the Asus router - leading me to think there's a problem with the router or that there's a setting somewhere that doesn't agree with talktalk. Some days it disconnects every couple of minutes but some times it'll be fine all evening.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried using the Huawei as a modem for the Asus router to see what happens?

also something else to try, is to change the ip address range of the vigor.

8. fredrikt

fredrikt What's a Dremel?

Similar problme

Bluespider: I have a very similar problem using the same ASUS router, but a Zyxel ADSAL modem. I get disconnected after 1-2h using the ADSL modem connected to the router. If I just restart the modem all is back to normal (for 1-2h more). On the other hand, f I skip the router and plug my ADSL modem directly to my computer everything is very stable.

My question to you is how you solved your problem?