1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Tomb Raider review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 8 Mar 2013.

1. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

An over abundance of QTEs....no thanks :/

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I played through about an hour last night, QTEs are in there but I didn't find them too offensive, I actually felt they had done some stuff better than other games I've played with QTEs and kept the tension up nicely on the intro, I doubt there is a better way you could do things to tell a story and keep player entertained.

Without these you would just be watching a bit of CGI.

3. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

She wouldn't be Lara Croft if she couldn't do all that :D

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The biggest issue with this game sits in how the QTE's are handled, this isn't the nice Dead Space 2 design that'll go "Press this button!" - It's just an exclamation mark. What are you meant to push there? I died a hell of a lot on the first QTE because I didn't notice the tiny text at the bottom of the screen saying "Mash F!"

on a side note; All the advisory tips on controls are like that, "Mash F" "Mash Face into Keyboard!" "Buy new keyboard and mash some more!" - I'm pretty certain I've worn out the G13 key on my G13 from using it as my F key so much.

Barring that, and a rather disappointing lack of AI assistance at points, even when it feels like you should have it; it's a very solid game. Runs okay on my hardware, sans TressFX and Tesselation, since I don't have the GPU grunt to manage those anyway, and it definitely proved more entertaining than my slog through BlopsII campaign recently.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Using a 360 pad the QTEs make perfect sense, shows you exactly what you need.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

:p

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

That is a deal! I personally loved Mafia 2. Scripted as all hell but the great characters make it.

Really looking forward to this Tomb Raider reboot, even if it seems to lack the actual Tomb Raiding. I've really enjoyed the last few games.

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

And there it is!

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Not even going to try it until it gets patched to work with Nvidia cards. Seems people are having a spot of trouble..

Last edited: 10 Mar 2013
  10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

The real question is whether the house is back to being the same as in TR1?

I want to lock the butler in the fridge!

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I will only play the game in max detail, the way the Devs wanted it to be played. :)

No turning down setting, I just won't do it! :D

This is why this game sucks ATM...

A quick vid I made on what I get. (Sorry about the poor picture quality. Recorded with my S3 phone...) (Also used masking tape - taped to the ceiling to hold my phone in place whilst I recorded lol.)

12. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm playing it fine on my 560TI with tessellation enabled, just can't run TressFX for very long before it slows to a crawl, I think it has to do with double precision shaders that Nvidia Didn't implement as well as AMD, that and the fact Nvidia didn't get the Final game code until 2 days before release. Otherwise it's fine, TBH her her looks fine on normal.

13. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I can't get past the QTE where you need to fight the dude off twice with F then side to side then mash e! Don't really want repetitive strain injury!

14. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Where the rock falls on you?

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So all games should be perfect simulations of reality? You do realise that games are well... they're just games!

But maybe you have a point:

FPS issue 1 : Gunshot victims recover inside of ten seconds by hiding behind a low wall.

FPS issue 2 : Reloads are consistently too quick, and running over a loaded weapon wouldn't normally transfer all ammunition to your personal stash.

Temple Run issue : Runner never gets out of breath and actually speeds up the longer they run for.

Pac Man issues : Eats all those powerpills and never once stops to take a dump.

Donkey Kong issue : Ape never seems to run out of barrels

Frogger issue : Cars seem to ignore giant frog jumping across road.

Machine gun jetpack issue: The machine gun jetpack!

16. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you tried without EVGA Precision? I find it stalls DX11 games Like Arkham City and Max Payne at certain points.

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I have now fixed the issue! :rock:

Goto NVIDIA control panel, Manage 3D settings, and click on 'Program Settings Tab'

[​IMG]

Untick the 'Show only programs found on this computer' (Shown above) Then click on 'Select a program to customise' from the drop down. (Shown below.)

[​IMG]

Now the 'Tomb Raider (2013) will show a blue and white icon next to it, like the rest.
    To get NVIDIA Drivers to recognized the launch of a selected program and use NVIDIA Profiles, you need to manual add the .EXE for that game.

Pictured below, will show you how to add the .EXE to that profile. (Depending on where you installed the game, will show differently to my screenshot.)

Those that have it installed on Steam will have to go into Steam Folder\streamapps\common\YOUR GAME\ Click on .EXE

[​IMG]

If all done correctly, then re click on 'Show only programs found on this computer' in the first pic. \then click on the drop down, and this will show you all games installed on your computer with NVIDIA Profiles enabled.

If some of your games ain't showing, then you need to follow this guide and enable them all, to take advantage of the Profiles.

Hope this will solve everyone's issues! :)

Cheers,

Simon.

David likes this.
  18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Good work, Si.

I've put off buying the game because of these issues, but I may pick it up now. :)

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Right, I think this is the final fix, with 314.14 Beta drivers. Before I update to 314.21 Beta drivers.

Copy these setting, and all problems when running the game maxed out should be solved. BTW - No more dips in FPS with tressFX enabled. :)

[​IMG]

20. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Yes, me too!

Great game though - am very surprised. Right up there with the Batman series.

Tags: Add Tags