1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ivy Bridge Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ikix, 1 Apr 2013.

1. ikix

ikix What's a Dremel?

Budget: £650
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming/Watching Films/Photoshop/CAD Design
    Monitor resolution: 1920x1200
    Will you be overclocking: no
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): 6 SATA ports, a single PCI (non express) slot

Extra information about desired system: I am building this rig with the main emphasis being on a quiet system, so I will not be overclocking it. I will also be using the SSD/HDD, GPU and optical drive from my current build so they are not needed. I have made a spec below, does it seem reasonable?

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/711b65c86e5248d18ab9cbbee01d9457

I'm concerned whether 650W will be enough to run the i5, GTX 570, 3 HDDs, 1 SSD and 1 optical drive with a few USB bits and bobs here and there.

Thanks

2. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

That is as good as you can make it for your budget and 650w would be plenty for what you have selected. If you need to check you can use this site bearing mind that it usually overestimates for peace of mind slightly.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

that's a good price for that case

psu you chose is crap, but 650w is plenty for what you want to do

if you're not going to overclock then why the K cpu, z77 motherboard, and huge cooler? there are quiet, small, cheap coolers out there

4. ikix

ikix What's a Dremel?

What PSU would you suggest instead? The K CPU was only £13 more and worth it should I wish to overclock towards the end of the life cycle of the build. Large cooler was largely based on its good thermal performance whilst keeping quiet as the R3 is meant to be a tad hot.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Build looks fine not sure what the complaint over the corsair psu is for either.

For the build your doing it will bearly break a sweat.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Maybe consider the Corsair H80i for CPU cooler.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The PSU you picked should be fine, but 650W is quite a lot if you're not planning to get a second graphics card.

The Seasonic G-450 would be perfect for this build, but the price just says "call" on Scan.

The motherboard is overkill. A GA-Z77-D3H or possibly a GA-Z77X-D3H should do. If you won't be overclocking, you can go for an H77 or B75 board to save even more.

Have you checked other CPUs as well such as the 3550 and the 3470? The difference to a 3570 is only a few hundred megahertz, but the price can be a lot lower.

8. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Yep, I don't know what the concern is either. I have the same PSU and it powers my below rig just fine.

9. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

My wife has a very similar build and if you are not overclocking then a 650W is way more than enough. Her machine has a Be Quiet! 530W in it and it's more than enough for this kind of system. It's a cracking PSU and the fan only ever kicks in when the GPU is under load.

If you definately aren't going to overclock, you could also go for the non K version of the 3570 and save yourself £15.

The cooler you have picked is a good one, but as mentioned above I would look at one of the Hydro coolers such as the Corsair H80i

If you go for the non K cpu then the H80i cooler will still be in your budget.

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

corsair's tx650 and tx650v2 were both seasonic, the new tx650m is a CWT oem model. you don't want a CWT psu.

you can get this XFX psu for £10 cheaper, and it's a seasonic