1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Remote Start Up

Discussion in 'Modding' started by The_Assassin, 28 Mar 2013.

1. The_Assassin

The_Assassin What's a Dremel?

I've often thought of this, but rarely had time to look into it..

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a remote start switch on the desktop PC?

Lazybones example: if I'm upstairs in bed, and I want to turn my PC on..
    Much like a car key fob, but to start the PC.

:idea:

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Yeah, though will require a bit of funky wiring.

You'd be looking for remote fob and receiver, which you would in turn use to trigger a relay which is wired into the power switch ( momentary contact switch, not an on/off switch as such ). you press the remote and it sends a signal to the receiver and then the relay to activate momentarily which powers up the PC; the trick is finding the right kind of relay or solenoid switch perhaps- you don't want the relay to simply switch to an on/closed position when you activate it, you only want it to flick on/closed for a split second... ( receiver will power the relay ).

Another option would be something like a solenoid or a servo type device to actually press the power button ( replaced internally with a gentle to press momentary switch vs stiff normal power button )- that could also work but take up more space.

Possible, but tricky...

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Imon media controllers have the power switch wired through them, and some of their systems worked with RF remote controls (so you could point it any way and still operate the computer) this might work close proximity through floor etc. but I don't know if imon still make media products.

Or you can probably set your computer up for "wake on lan" and then most smart phones have an app available to make computers boot on lan.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2013
  4. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

You can set most computers to power on as soon they are connected to power. That and a cheap remote/plug thingy and you are set.

5. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

easiest thing would be Wake on Lan? If you have a smart phone im sure there's an APP for that! :D

Edit - Didnt read replys seems "Margon" got there first

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Why would you want to turn the pc on if you're not there?

7. The_Assassin

so that it's run through it's boot up sequence by the time I've got out of bed and downstairs....
    plus, I think it's bloody cool!

:D

8. The_Assassin

Hmm, I've tried the Wake on Lan today, however no luck - may try some more tomorrow am

Cheers for the input peeps - much appreciated..