1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core 17 : GPU over CPU ?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Reiep, 4 Apr 2013.

1. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Sorry for the newbie question, I've been an occasional folder for quite a long time now, and I'm thinking about getting a dedicated rig in a 400-500 EUR range. I was going the CPU way until I found about all those Core 17 stuff. However it's still difficult to me to see if this is a good idea to invest in a GPU instead of a big CPU. The benchmark like the one doesn't help me to foresee what will be the gain. I suppose that the new core and the QRB will make GPU folding ahead of CPU folding ?

There have been already a few thread about the CPU vs GPU, but this new core is quite changing the game.

Thanks for your feedback !

2. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

If you buy a Gfx card you run the risk of the high workload destroying it. If you are happy with that OK, but as a part time Folder I'd stick with CPU Folding.

3. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

That would be a full time rig... but I understand that having a full time GPU rig is not a good idea ? :confused:

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

The 'official' response is that you should not choose hardware based on particular folding projects because they can and do vanish. But the Pande group seem to be putting a great deal of effort into Core 17 and the associated environment. The QRB beta-testing gave impressive looking numbers, but remember ANYTHING can be different when it eventually is released.

Also remember to budget for a full-time GPU rig using a lot of electricity, making a noise and warming up a room quite well.

If you use more than one GPU they can get hot unless you leave a space between them, but I have run quad GTX 295s for several weeks without apparent harm. With GTX570s I've got best temperatures using EVGA reference style cards. I tend to buy GPUs from eBay because it's less money when/if the card dies. Also the 'infant mortality' cards get weeded out this way. Or buy new from somewhere with good customer service and guarantee.

Given your budget I don't think you can get a CPU powerful enough for the biggest QRB. Choose a model you like, then look around and get some idea of PPD you'ld get now. Ditto with graphics cards.

5. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

I have sixteen Folding, but I expect to lose 3-4 a year, they aren't built to run 100% 24/7. However I've never lost a CPU (non over-clocked) to Folding. (OK one caught fire, but that was the cooler that failed) It's up to you, you're paying the money.

Also low power Gfx cards seem to lose out on the new core 17 QRB when I tried them I lost 6000PPD on each one. I guess they suit 670/680s best, which would be the lion share of your budget.

6. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply :clap:

It seems better for me, for now, to go the CPU way, as planned.

7. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

id wait till this new core comes out and see what PPD number people are getting with GPU....

ortho if you do get a CPU setup you can always add a GPU ;)

8. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

Yes, I won't buy it right now, and actually as the Haswell architecture is about to be released, I think I'll wait a bit and see what's the gain of performances, and how much the prices of Ivy Bridge are going to go down :D