1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Build Log] Project Mini Me - M-ATX Phantom, 3820, RIVG, 7970, watercooled

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phelan, 20 Dec 2012.

1. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

That logo is great. I feel like that was a ton of work to make. Props to your friend. He did an amazing job with that.

2. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

Your GPU backplate is really good.

Nice painting looking forward to see the final result.

3. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

It was definitely a lot of work. But when I approached him about the idea, he loved it and was excited and eager to get started on it. He wouldn't even let me pay for shipping! He is an amazing artist with metal and a true friend.

Thanks! The end result actually will look a bit different from the pic, but the approximate dimensions will be the same. There will be a Swiftech 360 rad up top and the 240 res combo in the bottom left of the PSU. The doors will be acrylic instead of cut down stock, the mobo tray will be poloshed diamond plate, and the stock controls and inputs up top will be replaced with units from a Phantom 820 :cooldude:.

Also, the GPU backplate is nice but it doesn't match this build. It came with the GPU when I bought it from PhillyD. I'm having a new one made out of acrylic to match the pump top on the H220.

4. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

Wanted to get the top cut and welded as well but ran out of time. Here's pics and mockups.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

Here's some more progress pics. I cut out the top and started on the top plate, but it'll have to be cut out and welded back in since it moved when I was tacking. The top panel will also be cut and fit on top of this. Once I get a template for the 360 rad and have it here for mock ups, I'll cut out room for it to breath. Same with the P820 fan controller and USB inputs etc. Once I get them mocked up where I want them, I'll make holes for cable management. I also still need to male holes for the plastic top panel, but I'll do that once it's cut down.

Top panel
    [​IMG]

Mocked up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the top panel so you can get a feel of what's up
    [​IMG]

I didn't realize just how small this is until I did the 4 sides mock up above. Still enough room for my stuff, but pleasantly sursprised and excited at how small it actually is.

6. XNine

XNine What's a Dremel?

This is looking damn good. I can see how it's all coming together now. Plus, I think I have those same shoes! :D

7. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

That's going to be a really cool little case when you're done with it. This looks great with that NZXT plate in. Keep up the good work.

8. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

Thanks! And they're Dockers :D. Most comfortable dress shoes ever IMO :rock:
    Thanks will do :thumb:.

9. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

So it turns out fitting the PSU is a lot tighter than I initially planned on, mainly because I have to rotate it a full 180* rather than the 90* I initially planned on. But that's ok. I actually have room and resources that I'm going to recess the PSU about 3/4" forward of the front steel panel, and weld the plate on the front panel to hold it there. With the power plug, it will still be hidden behind the front plastic panel, so all is well.

On that note, I wanted a new, fully modular, better looking power supply to replace my modified XFX 750w non-modular I've used in previous builds. So, being cautious of modular plugs and overall space constraints, I found one to fit the bill-

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207028

XFX 850w fully modular, 80 plus GOLD certified :thumb:

XFX PSUs are made by Seasonic, one of if not the best PSU manufacturers, and I've owned one for each of my previous builds, so I was obliged to stick with them for this build. I would have loved to try an NZXT Hale 90 v2, but they are too long.

Oh, and I cut the top panel, mocked up the mobo tray and other stuff, and painted the door in white primer :).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

SO... I was able to talk my wife into letting me buy a new keyboard since I've been wanting this one in particular and it went on special :D. I ordered an Azio Levetron Mech5.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823839012

I've been wanting one of these for a while, after previously owning a Mech4 which I loved, and currenty have a CM Storm Trigger which I not-so love. I much prefer the larger keycaps and MX Blacks of the Levetron to the narrower keycaps and MX Browns on my Storm Trigger. Also I feel the MUCH simpler macro software on the Mech4/5 is much more suitible to my tastes.

The only complaint I had of the Mech4 was that because of its size, I couldn't run it and my mouse both in my keyboard tray. But I have a plan for that. Much like my Mini Phantom case, I plan to slim down this keyboard as well. After seeing the Mech4 apart when I painted mine (pic below), I know I can take a good chunk out of its bulk with some work. I also plan to maint it to match the case.

Here is a rough idea of what I plan to do. Pictured is a Mech4, but size and structure are the same. I may also try to find a way to integrate my mic into the keyboard as well.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the Mech4 I custom painted Matte White

[​IMG]

11. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

New stuffs!!!!

[​IMG]

New PSU compared to the old

[​IMG]

All wires plugged in :p

[​IMG]

Got a new box knife from/for work also. It reloads itself!

[​IMG]

The Mech5 with optional indented rubberized keys

[​IMG]

Nothing going on here...

[​IMG]

12. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

Hey guys! Just wanted to stop in and apologize for lack of updates as of late. I haven't abandoned this; just been busy with other irons in the fire. I recently got a '66 GMC C1000 1/2 ton longwide pickup that I've been working on and restoring. It's also my daily driver. It has a 305E big block V6 and SM420 Muncie 4 speed running gear, along with 3.73 rear gears. It's no speed demon as it was built for towing, but it's all original and has some sweet rare options, such as the buddy-bucket seats with matching door trim. I've been doing a little bodywork on it and looking for a 3.07 ring and pinion to give it some highway speed and mileage for my daily commute.

Also, the model '56 F100 I've mentioned above previously needs to be finished before the end of next month, because I'll be entering it in the Revell competition this year since most of the parts are from the GT500 donor vehicle, which is an eligible vehicle.

On the other hand, I HAVE gotten most of my PSU sleeved, and I've made some headway with my plastic panels, now that I've found a super-strong plastic adhesive (called plastic welder, 3500 PSI hold!!!). No pictures of them yet but I'm working on them now.

Here's the latest pic of my truck and sleeving :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

The best place to get paracord in the US is www.atwoodrope.net in case youre wondering and as for the diamond plate, why not cover it in carbon fiber Di-Noc? With a hair dryer itll conform to that plate nicely :)

14. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

True but everybody uses Di-Noc. I can't think of any builds off-hand that have a diamond plate mobo tray

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Post some good pics of that CPU block combo when you get it. I went AD2 for mine, it's quite a nice piece of work.

This the same phelan from XS? You'll fit right in if you are. If not, you'll fit right in.

16. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

Yep, that's me :). I'm on quite a few forums actually, as Phelan on all of them. You can see my list of aliases on Heatware under, yep, Phelan.

I like the H220 a lot. Until today I had both it and an Apogee Drive II which I used in my last build. I like the AD2 as well, but the folks @Swiftech are good friends of mine and I wanted to advertise support of their latest unit. I may even switch to an Nvidia card to use one of their sick new upcoming NV Komodos, since I'm having problems trying to repair my 7970.

17. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

Is this progress?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is just a test coat, so I can seethe high/low spots. I still need to add the trim for the HUE controls and fix a few spots but otherwise it's pretty good. The top should look like this later today :).

djzic likes this.
  18. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

+rep for an awesome mod, cool idea :D

19. phelan

phelan What's a Dremel?

I still have a bit of work to do on the case, but I did a mock-up yesterday since I got some new stuffs in. I wasn't planning to show it yet because I don't want to show too much of my hand, but this build is long in the tooth, and you, my peeps, have been so patient that I want you to be rewarded :D

[​IMG]

20. White-Fox

White-Fox What's a Dremel?

*oh snap* it's really looking something :p i really hope you will paint the frame too, even thou it will not be visible with side panels on, but really, great job! :)