1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Création n°3 // ITX Bamboo HTPC- 30.01.3015 - Update 6 (and MOTM nominee)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Monsieur R., 17 Feb 2013.

1. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Amazing work so far. Love those hard drive cages. Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see the progress on this build.

2. Mork

Mork What's a Dremel?

My jaw just dropped to the floor! The design and execution and materials.. and.. and.. everything so far is just awesome! :eek: I'm definitely watching this!

Keep us posted and please do finish this build! I have a feeling this will be MoTM worthy. :thumb:

3. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

4. Lehani

Lehani What's a Dremel?

those Memory's BLOCKS. can they be watercooled?

5. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Création n°3 - Interlude 1
    - Rebecca & Fiona, "Dance" in Ultra Music -

Hello Bit-Tech :clap:

Thanks a lot HybridCore, Nate, Elladan, ovolla and Furball Zen :clap:

As I will show it later in this post, the routing in the acrylic will for some guts for the wires. The aluminium plates on both sides will save me the use of additional clamps.

I don't know if this will deserve a MoTM nomination, but I hope you didn't hurt your feet with your jigsaw :D Oh, no, it's you jaw. So, I hope you didn't brake you jaw. :blush:

I think yes, they can be watercooled. But it would be a shame, the Dominator Platinum are exclusive because of their heatsinks. If you want to watercool Dominator, use classic ones, not Platinum Edition. :dremel:

By the way, for this update, I'm cheating a little bit because in this is not really an update but more like an "interlude". Indeed, as I'm on vacation now (it must be that it happens from time to time), relatively far from home and workshop, I did not have much time to progress on Création n°3.

Last week I showed you how I made the HDD cages. I will leave them some rest untill I decide if I go anodisation or not with them. The adjustment is so tight that I can't put the HDD in there yet, otherwise I would be unable to remove them. This would be a little bit stupid... Furthermore, a friend pointed that there could be an electrical short-ciruit between the motherboard of the HDD, so I'll have to find a solution before going further.

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole "HDD / SDD" will be fixed vertically in an attempt to create a levitation effect. It will be suspended under the reservoir (have to be machined in CNN, either laser or 3D printing, I have not decided yet) and supported by the PSU, which is a Corsair AX760i :

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, this is a real 24 pin ATX ! No double wire, no hole, 24 pins on PSU side and on MB side ! I love it (even if it's a 760 Watt is a total waste of power, considering my needs, and so is the Platinum certification) :blush:

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hum... custom wires ? :dremel::lol:

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's all for now. I hope I will have more time to work on this project newt week-end. See you there :o:clap:

6. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Those drive holders are pretty much awesome. Great work :clap:

7. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

The design makes more sense now seeing the cables run in the channels. Looks good. Keep it up.

8. that_du^de

that_du^de give your head a wobble

yup them drive holders do it for me are you going to anodise or polish them?
    subed as well!

9. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

For the drives, i have some near paper thin heat transfer 'media' (no adhesive so not tape) or a piece of plastic wrap or those plastic paper savers to insulate it.

10. Monsieur R.

Création n°3 - Update 3.
    "Chi va piano... va piano"

- ediT, "Ants" in Crying over pros for no reason -

Hello Bit-Tech ! :hip:

First of all, I apologize for the lack of updates. I still have three excuses :
    • I suffer from a modern disease called... procrastination - Funny excuse. :hehe:
    • I had the bad, bad, bad idea to order some sleeving stuffs from MDPC. The problem is : when it comes to sleeving, my two hands are as usefull as two pans of lead - Technical excuse. :idea:
    • Last month, I was a victim of burglary. So my computer (in which there were all my photos) was stollen, plus my Wii, plus a lot of electronic and photographic stuffs. In other words, all my base are belong to... someone I would kick if I meet him/her. No computer, no update. Easy. That was for the :wallbash::duh::waah: excuse.

But ! I managed to work a little bit on Création n°3's sleeving and borrowed my roommate's MacBook Pro in order to show write you today's update. There's nothing marvelous and I perfectly know I will never be as good at this as the best of you, but, well, I did it. And sleeving the Corsair AX760i is pretty easy, except the double wire on the 24 pin ATX cable.

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In parallel, I brushed the two main aluminum plate, in order to get the same appearance than the HDD/SDD cages. I have no photos of the sanding, because I wasn't in the mood to do so (because of the burglary), but I took some shot when the work was finished.

BEFORE
    • [​IMG]

AFTER
    • [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last thursday, I also ordered six new parts, in aluminium and acrylic, from the laser cutter company. I hope I will get them next week so I can finally move forward quicker and so that the computer takes shape, in real 3D. :)

Thanks a lot for your attention, and have a nice sunday !

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  11. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Will be following closely :)

12. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

A very interesting project !

Sorry about the burglary, it sucks :/

13. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

There's nothing worse than knowing that someone you don't know has gone onto your property and taken something that is yours. It's like the wierdest feeling of anger and violation put together. Sorry to hear the news.

On a happier note, this is starting to look good (it did from the start). I look forward to more updates! Glad to see you've bounced back and continued the project.

14. Monsieur R.

Création n°3 - Update 4.
    Patience is a dish best served... modded

- The XX, "Stars" in The xx -

And so, Bit-Tech. Here we are.
    "That's it, are we there yet ?" they asked all.
    "Hu. Not really. What did you expect ?"

After a very difficult month (from the modding point of view), after the burglary, after having waited for my acrylic and aluminium laser cuts to come, everything is finally back to normal. I received the long-waited items tuesday and, here in France, we are very lucky to have 5 days off (because of 8th of may and the 9th of may, plus the week-end).
    As I showed you in the previous update, I made a little bit of sanding on the parts I had.

• [​IMG]

So let's have a look at the order :

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not that bad. Not that bad, with some cutting errors that can be adjusted with filing and patience.

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second test :

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much better. :) And as we must not stop in so good way, I took the opportunity to file all to prepare, for the first time, Création n° in 3D, just to give me, and especially to YOU an idea of ​​the volumes (yes, "you", because I know the plans for several months ... well, I think I should. I hope.)

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here we are :) I should tell that no glue, no screws are needed to hold everything in place. And because I don't want to tease the what will come in the next update(s), I'll let you guess what those aluminium/acrylic arks are made for.

See you soon, and thanks for following me ;)

15. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Wow. You are really making use of your tools to create a work of art. Drive bay is great, wish I had the ability to make something like this!

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

Flippin eck, the acrylic and aluminium look amazing. subbed

17. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Sheer CLASS!

Keepin' an eye on this, thats for sure!

18. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Very nice and very precise!

Will there be any type of fastening on the rear side to prevent them from shearing/sagging?

19. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

looks very nice man !

20. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

looks like one of those hoops is for holding a PSU but the others have me stumped. I'm loving watching this mod progress. Keep us guessing :thumb: