1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress DESK MOD!! Completed! Pictures and videos!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tim_Saville, 7 Apr 2013.

1. Tim_Saville

Tim_Saville What's a Dremel?

Cos I hadn't finished putting pictures up man.

2. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

maybe an investment in a larger monitor might make it all in proportion. Very well done on the desk, but the inside box would it not be better to section the parts off like a tower for beter cable management and individual air cooling chambers?

3. Tim_Saville

Yeah what I wish I did now, is rather than just making a plate an mounting the computer to that, I wish I made a metal plate with rebates for cabling so that could all be hidden underneath much like the cable management holes and space on a normal case, but hay ho :waah:

4. Father-Time

Father-Time Minimodder

As others have said inside needs a little TLC!
    The wood work is excellent, lovely top piece, love the curve at the front :)
    All in all very nice desk with lovely wood, now sort the wires, and welcome to Bit-Tech where we love pictures ;)

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah, That's better. You jumped the gun a bit posting. Did you hit enter while not in the text box?:D When I posted, all you had was "Done", and the text ended at the parts list.:lol:

She's a lovely desk, but I agree with the rest that you internals need some organization. The big problem I see is you are recirculating hot air.
    -There's nothing that can't be moved/changed in this situation. I'd recommend using it for a while until you figure out exactly what you want and how you could change it.
    Idea: False floors for cables raised even with the mobo edge.

6. metalglasses

metalglasses What's a Dremel?

I don't know if this is feasible to you, but for the air circulation, I would recommend either
    1. Add two intake fans on the sides (inside of the cabinets) and turn around the middle fan
    2. Or add some fins on the two exhaust fans to direct the heat away from the intake (or add a funnel to the intake since you placed the desk next to the window).

The problem with 1 is obvious, I even don't want to take time to make a hole where it is difficult to add one.

The problem with 2 could solve the heat problem, but the air probably won't get to the gpu because the two exhaust fans are next to the intake. Yes they can take on a little more heat compared to the other components.

Anyways +1 on the woodwork, I don't know if this is what you were aiming for, but I like the rustic look to it.

7. metalglasses

metalglasses What's a Dremel?

I also want to add I feel shaking about the gpu, I would add some kind of frame.
    p.s. I live on the ring of fire :)

8. Tim_Saville

Cheers guys.

Okay yeah I wanted to put fans in the sides as well but didn't have time really, however I made the best of what I had, the middle fan is blowing cold air in And left and right fan are blowing hot air out, hopefully further enough away to not blow it back in again.

Hopefully today I will sort cables but there is not really a space for excess wires other than down the sides, but I'll grab some cables ties and do something.

Yeah, I was trying to make a rustic, old steam punk desk.

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe::rock::thumb:

Really nicely made desk mate, I like it. :)

I can agree with some TLC for the internals & some air flow if it has any hotspots going on so it could cool better but if it's all OK then just a little TLC for the internals but it's not essential since it all works, the desk is really nice. :)

Cheapskates tips sound excellent. :)

10. SavellM

SavellM What's a Dremel?

Hey dude.

Nice desk.

Quick question, how did you mount the DVD drive and the Front USB stuff?
    [​IMG]

As in what is that black facia thing around the dvd drive?

Another thing, a bit late now, but you should have mounted the USB and stuff further to the side. As you may knock it while using it.

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

its got that look "touchy feely" about it ..enjoy your new desk, I like it

12. Tim_Saville

It's just black acyrillic, Cut out using a lazer cutter and the USB and DVD just on a wooden base and stick through,
    Yeah I'll neaten the wires soon make it look better

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

Really nice desk, Like how you've not squared off the front and kept it natural. Glad you perservered and got those pics up despite getting a badgered. (These lot can be funny feckers sometimes) :hehe::hehe::hehe:

+1 rep deserved

14. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Desk is gorgeous but the electronics (execution) leave a bit to be desired...

15. Tim_Saville

Thinking about switching out my PSU or a modular one, to solve some of the cabling issue as there is not a huge space to place cables

16. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Several times in my life I have wished that I had done a woodwork apprenticeship instead of an electrical one.

This is one of those occasions. Wood is such a beautiful material, I really wish I had the skill to produce something like this.

Great work indeed ;)

17. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

The desk itself looks like a very nice piece of work. Really like the wood that is used. Looks like a quality piece of furniture.

But the pc in it is just a square hole with all parts dumped in it. I don't get it. Everyone seems to want to make a desk pc nowadays but you should put some more time in arranging the hardware and colourcoding them or something similar. Make the pc also worth looking at.

18. Tim_Saville

I had to make the parts easily accessible, for upgrades and such, so i had to make a plate for them to sit on, in hindsight i wish i made a metal base with cable management abilities however, i have tried to arrange the parts.
    And to answer your question, i dont really no why people are into pc desk but i think they look cool and in my personal opinion only custom made cases are better, and i dont really like working with metal

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

There is nothing wrong with having a pc desk. But builds for them are all over the net and 80% of them is crap. Made from MDF, badly fitting, badly painted, bad everything.

Your desk, like I said, looks like a very nice piece of work. But the pc itself looks like you just tossed all the parts in there. If you don't like working with metal then work with wood, you seem to be great at it. But give it some thought and some work. I am sure you could create something stunning.

20. Tim_Saville

Fair play, well i was thinking about creating a laptop, so if i do i will spend more time thinking about ergonomics and how the parts are place within the case