1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Fantastic work steveo left a comment on flickr before I came here!

Some shots from me, taken a few evenings ago at some local industrial and trade estates - they seem to be my favourite place to shoot at the moment!

[​IMG]
    DSC_1975 by danmorris94, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_1977 by danmorris94, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_1959 by danmorris94, on Flickr

:cooldude:

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Link to view this in silly high resolution. Image would have been better if my normal drop cloth (metallic red sheet) was more easily removable, or if I had something better than a single sheet of A4 cardstock, but I still think it turned out okay.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Mil Mi-17V5 carrying NSG commandos for an assault demonstration:

[​IMG]

(click for big)

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Cheers mate. Nice abstracts, the second one almost looks like it could be a large building from very far away.

Looks good to me, I think that kind of shot suits a white background.

stonedsurd, loving the whirlybirds. How many shots do you take to get the shot?

5. stonedsurd

Thanks.
    I used to spray-and-pray a lot. Now I do three-shot bursts and get at least one keeper, which is a pretty healthy ratio for me :)

I also shoot a lot less per outing now (thanks largely to reading Tim's posts here and on his blog). I pick and choose my angles instead of spamming 40GB of RAWs in an afternoon and then picking ten worthwhile shots from the bunch over the course of a month. During the 2011 Miramar show, I filled two 16GB cards between 11am and 6pm. By contrast, I spent 3 days in Gwalior shooting Mirage 2000s last december and only 40GB for the entire trip. For Aero India 2013 it was even less, even though it was a one-week show.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2013
  6. steveo_mcg

I'd say thats a very good ratio.

7. stonedsurd

Took me long enough! :hehe:

8. steveo_mcg

9. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

10. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The picture of the guy with the upright bass is awesome. I especially like the way the warm light comes in hard from the side, outlining both his face and the edge of the bass. And his pose is just about perfect. Well done!

12. eddie_dane

Yeah, that's one of my personal favorites too. This show had more back lighting than front which was frustrating but made the odd image like this almost worth it.

Shadows in the eyes like in pic #2 drive me up the wall. but there's not much I can do about it.

13. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

OMG those musician shots are absolutely stunning!

Can you tell me a little about lighting/settings etc. Really awesome work

14. eddie_dane

Thanks!

Well, the cardinal rule in concert shooting is that you are not allowed to use flash so you have to deal with what the show sets up.

Sometimes, they use spotlights which make the job a cakewalk relatively. I shoot this venue a lot so I'm pretty familiar and have zoned into a range of settings I generally use: ISO 2000 (sometimes as high as 3200 if I need extra shutter speed), f2.8 - 4, and between 1/125 - 200 depending on which lens I'm using (17-35 and 70-200). I shoot manual exposure with continuous focusing using a single focus point and always set my white balance to 5500K.

I generally try to underexpose by 1/3 of a stop to make sure I get clean blacks which helps get good colors and some insurance to not blow out the exposure.

15. stonedsurd

I just shot a play and biased my exposures about 1/3-stop to the right (canon tends to be weaker in the shadows, right?). I am going to edit that lot once in a few days, and I hope I can get something even half as good as yours, eddie.

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Just bought a new camera so trying to learn how to take nice shots. Grabbed this one the other day. For some reason after I have uploaded it, the picture is a lot brighter. in the original you can barely see the background. Regardless I still love the colored light coming through.
    [​IMG]

17. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

The colour profile used to display the image depends on the browser.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Looks excellent Eddie. It's very clean for high ISO... what body are you using for this, and are you nailing focus every time? Eyes are perfect in #3.

19. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I like that!

20. eddie_dane

Thanks. I'm using the Nikon D700 and I when I shoot at ISO 2000 and below and underexpose a smidge, the images come out pretty clean. I do also do some minor noise reduction in Lightroom too - just enough not to loose sharpness.

I don't nail focus every time, especially at a dark show like this. When I first started, my hit-rate was around 40%. I've got it up to about 75% now. Shooting in small 3-5 shot bursts gets good results with my body in continuous focus mode. The first one is usually off but the following shots are mostly tack-on.

Obviously, I only show the winners. :p