1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Bombing

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Blazza181, 15 Apr 2013.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I know these events are tragic, unfair, and gruesome. I'm sorry that it happened.

But the conspiracy theories?

They're the best thing since sliced bread.

I love that people get it into their heads that the American Government would blow its own citizens up in an effort to make money/start a war/insert ludicrous reason here.

Governments, by and large, are terrible at keeping secrets like that. It'd be a team of people that would need to be utterly devoid of conscience, devoid of empathy, and completely crooked to somehow not mention to anyone that anything happened. It's utterly fanciful.

The American Government couldn't even keep a secret about where Clinton's dick was at any one time, how do you suppose they managed to blow their own people up and not let on to the fact?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

My "Guess", (made by somebody with no expertise in such matters)

I have to agree, it's most likely to be some pro right wing NRA nut job, who in a few days/weeks will come forward and say he was in clear sight the whole time, and if people were allowed to carry firearms could have stopped him..

That's my guess, considering that the amount of explosives used (small) and type of bomb. This is America where you can buy pretty much anything from big chain stores to achieve a far greater amount of damage.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

That is possibly the best rebuke of conspiracy theories I have heard. :clap:

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This. It's a tragic and unnecessary end to three lives and will permanently affect scores more, but far worse tragedies are occurring as I type this response, the majority of which will remain untold. This one was caught on a lot of cameras, which makes it extra newsworthy.

Lest we forget the ~100 people a day being slaughtered in Syria, mostly women and children. But that's old news, and it's in one of those countries that the majority of the Western world would struggle to pinpoint on a map. So it doesn't matter that much, right?

I'd imagine the same mentality applies to the DRC, Sudan and Burma as well. They aren't white Westerners so they only crop up in the news when something really drastic happens or is discovered to have happened. Or if a scapegoat is caught and put on trial.

5. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

i have to agree with you. i do frequent the major conspiracy sites every so often and they can be quite comical.

this one is of particular interest. basically saying the family guy predicted it.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread940304/pg1

quote of the week

6. hellblazer.doom

hellblazer.doom What's a Dremel?

Horrible for the innocent people that get caught up in this. We don't know what happened yet, just wait for the official position to be made public and see who gets the blame, be it a lone gunman who has been traced through CCTV and eye witnesses, or a foreign body keen on blowing up innocent people.

For all those who seem to think it absolutely hilarious that the government would lie or kill innocent people to go to war or for some other agenda, then you are doomed to let history repeat itself. The Vietnam War is a classic example, the 4th of August attack never happened and that was the reason used to start a war that ended in the deaths of millions of innocent people. You think this is ludicrous? You think they can't keep a secret if they really wanted too? Everything I suppose comes out eventually, but don't be under the illusion governments are trustworthy, give someone power and they will abuse it. All some of you are doing is mentioning examples when the government hasn't managed to keep their mouth shut, which proves absolutely nothing.

Wait and see who gets the blame first and just remember these people for a second and hope they and their families have the strength to cope with the aftermath. But at the same time ask yourselves, when NATO drone strikes Pakistan and kills innocent people including children, is that a "despicable crime" and "an act of terror", or just a collateral damage? Lets ask their families shall we?

7. Risky

Risky Modder

To be honest Syria gets a fair bit of coverage, though I don't watch much news on TV so I can't comment on that. And additionally you will get more coverage when the media have more access to the event. You will have many times more journalists living in Boston that have ever been to the DRC.

8. walle

walle Minimodder

Conspiracy theories aside.
    What makes people believe that government would be the most powerful institution in a country?

Last edited: 17 Apr 2013
  9. Xir

Xir Modder

To both of you, 6 words:
    mobile weapon of mass destruction factories

The American government has lied to the world, started the iraki war, admitted their lie afterwards, and it didn't make a lick of difference, and noone cares.

Not that I think this is the case here, mind you.
    Bombings like this happen every day, just not in the US.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually more the various Sunii and Shiite factions who have resumed their bickering now Saddam Hussein's ruthless oppression isn't there to keep a lid on things anymore. Although I'm sure other terrorist groups are rushing in to fill the vacuum of power. Either way, the West made it possible; it is a mess we created and then quietly abandoned. Nobody cries for the civilians caught in that crossfire.

11. hellblazer.doom

hellblazer.doom What's a Dremel?

One of the only times I will probably ever agree with you Nexxo. Couldn't agree more to be honest.

12. walle

walle Minimodder

I think that many of us have become desensitized to the point of no longer reacting to violence unless it happens to us directly.

I saw a program years ago discussing the Vietnam war, an argument was made that it lasted so long for those reasons, showing people being blown up, shot and beaten had the opposite effect.

13. patrickk84

patrickk84 What's a Dremel?

Honestly, I get tore up reading about the bombings in Iraq/Pakistan/Syria/Mali/TheListIsTooLong as well.

I may be a little more emotionally involved than your average American Citizen though.

This just hits closer to home. So of course it's going to get more media coverage here. I can't speak for countries other than the US though.

TLDR: People are crying for the civilians caught in that crossfire. We just can't chose what the media covers.

Scroome likes this.
  14. Risky

Risky Modder

Well quickly googling the news it seems most of the bombings are against Shiite tagets, and AQI are still involved. And yes the West shoudln't have invaded when it did and yes it made a stupid mess of the afterthrough and no the West shouldn't have pulled out as fast as we did. Still even though the invasion started the changes that led to the current situation, you can't put the blame for someone blowing up a Mosque down to US Policy. It still needs someone that want's lot kill lots of people for following the wrong strain of a religion.

However I do remember arguing with you when you wanted an earlier pullout on the basis that they shouldn't have invaded and I suggested we had no business pulling out as long without making a decent effort to leave them withsome security.

That said even if Al Gore was president and the invasion hadn't happened then, I suspect that Al-Q and the secular regime under Saddam wouldn't have taken too long to work our who their enemy's enemy is and after 9/11 the idea of a purely reactive security policy was looking rather weaker.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

4chan may have ID'd one of the bombers

[​IMG]

dont know about the guy in the red ring

[​IMG]

16. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

Power to the internet and 4Chan

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

4Chan for hive-president of the world.

18. patrickk84

patrickk84 What's a Dremel?

I can't view imgur at work... Noooo!

19. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

If they have got one of them, it will be a real demonstration of the terrifying power of an internet hive mind.

There is however a risk they are wrong, and have accused a random man.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As much as I'd like to believe they've got the right man, I find it hugely unlikely that no one else at that event had the same bag as either that man or the bomber(s).

I guess we'll see.