1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Vista freezes in desktop after startup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ecviper, 17 Apr 2013.

1. ecviper

ecviper What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with Vista 64-bit freezing or not fully loading all programs etc when it goes on to the desktop screen after it starts up.

It would load the splash screen then change to my desktop with all icons on desktop but would then freeze and not load anything else. When i right click on desktop it works. But when I try to open a program, nothing happens.

When I try to shut down or restart via the start button, nothing happens. It seems like windows explorer has crashed or has errors? I have to restart computer a few times before it goes back to normal. Yes, a few times! It is very strange.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

2. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

When did the problem start? You might want to consider using system restore to go to an earlier restore point. Have you installed anything recently? Checked temps (just to be safe)? Have you tried waiting like 10 mins or something? You can use autoruns or msconfig to see about changing your boot config... might want to try to boot into safe mode to see if the problem persists or goes away, if it goes away it is mostly likely an application or a driver that is causing problems with explorer.

3. ecviper

ecviper What's a Dremel?

had some progress. booted into safemode and things seem fine. So just in case, I copied everything that was important onto another drive.

Uninstalled the last few programs I installed that may have caused the problem and also did malware scan. Nothing came up.

rebooted into normal mode, still same problem.

so rebooted into safemode again and did the SFC checker? as said on the microsoft help forum. It found some errors and corrected them so I rebooted for them to be sorted out. This time it boots into windows splash screen then the whole screen turns a light grey colour with just the cursor showing. waited 10-15mins but nothing.

rebooted again and it loading into windows. looking good so far however it is very slow to load all the components. It's usable so I'm going to do the standard disk error check an defrag tonight to see if it improves.

I'm still not 100% confident it won't happen again so going to see tonight before I copy back over my files etc.

4. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

I really must say that although it seems your problems are on their way to be fixed, the best thing you could do would be to do a system restore back to before the problems started. You won't lose any files other then programs and drivers you installed after said restore point, and you can then install those back.