1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Cosmos Cruizer - Final Pics!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 26 Jul 2012.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

OMG, that front grill!
    It reminds of the ZZ Top hotrod. Which was SO... well.... hot! ;)

2. Dragulax99

Dragulax99 What's a Dremel?

awesome ...zz topesc..

3. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Front panel looks amazing. Reminds me of a hotrod project I saw years ago, I can't remember the guys name, but he produced fan grills and such, all handmade and then disappeared into thin air.

Anyway, nice job, as usual!

4. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

That would be Bonzanego. I remember his Deuce case mod vividly! He did amazing work.

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

ZZ Top's Eliminator would be an awesome parallel for this. Only thing so awesome it got two ZZ Top videos.

Boyd Coddington did another one like this, but I forgot its name. Though this is really (to me) evoking the 50's lead sleds and lake pipes.

(I ****ing love cars, but I can't drive any more. Sucks, but at least I still tune them up.)

This is excellent work. Makes me realize I need to post more of my car-themed work, which means I have to load it off the camera. I might do that. See, you're pushing me to be less lazy.

6. charles_h

charles_h I can has RotoZip?

Inspiring work as always Brian; looking forward to seeing more. :)

7. gungravevn

gungravevn What's a Dremel?

Loving it

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Been seeing people not knowing what modding is lately & I already knew different types of modding but came across a quality little intro to what modding is along with the different types the other day when I seen the talk of Bonzanegos project here & it sounding like one I need to see so I went searching for pictures of the mod, forums had dead links but it was featured in this guide from 2005, wouldn't have found it without the name Brian mentioned. :)
    http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Opinions/Its-a-Mod-Mod-World-Case-and-Found-Object-Modding/

Bit-tech should do an updated take on what modding is I think to give it some good meaning back, it's lost heaps of meaning for many & system building gets confused with modding & some even think scratch builders aren't modders, it's ridiculous lol. :D

This is shaping up awesome, masterpiece in the making. :)

Boddaker likes this.
  9. Boddaker

What's this?? A Cosmos Cruizer update?? :shock:

Yep, believe it or not, some progress has been made! Now that the Maker Faire PC is all but completed and ready to be delivered to NVIDIA, I can continue work on this. I'm really going to push to get this thing done, without any more breaks. So there will be a steady stream of updates from here on out! :)

I've been slowly working on several components of the build simultaneously, one being the side scoops. I've got the form re-prepped to 'glass the second one, and I finally got the first scoop attached to the panel. I mixed up some resin paste and, after cleaning the surfaces, gooped it on the edges of the scoop and set it in place. Then I applied more paste all around it, inside and out. I used a 2" acrylic disc I had lying around to scrape off the excess paste, leaving a nice rounded fillet between the scoop and the panel.
    [​IMG]

I used a wooden dowel to get the inside edges. And I always employ the highest tech, state-of-the-art clamping/holding devices available to keep the parts stationary while gluing. ;-)
    [​IMG]

After a few hours, the paste had set up so I could remove the hi-tech holding device and put the panel on the case for a look-see.
    [​IMG]

This weekend, I'll do a little sanding and hit it with a coat of primer to see how it looks.
    [​IMG]

Feels good to be back at it. woot!

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Woo hoooo, it's back on. :D

11. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I should get you to make my scoops over again in glass.

You're gonna make me get out with a hammer tomorrow and break the failed turbo scoop off KITT's left side.

Also, that's very nice glass work. Do be careful with the set on that body filler though, I never could get the resin to stick right to it (as the surface is still basically talc.)

12. Boddaker

So over the weekend I managed to cross a HUGE item off my to-do list... The Suicide Door! :D

Anyone familiar with the Cosmos II doors will know they are a royal PITA to do anything with because they are so complex. Just adding a basic window is a massive undertaking due to the door's varying thickness and compound curves. Well, not only am I adding a window, but I'm also relocating the hinge point of the door from the front of the case to the back, mimicking the old "suicide door" style seen on many custom rods.

This modification affects not only the door itself, but the side bezel and case chassis need to be altered as well. But first up is the door panel. I took the left door, removed the aluminum door skin, and flipped it so the solid part was at the bottom. But in order for the hinges to work properly, I had to harvest it from the other door.
    [​IMG]

So I took the dremel and separated the hinge from the donor door.
    [​IMG]

Marked its new position on the back side of the new door.
    [​IMG]

After removing that portion, I did some test fittings until the new hinge fit perfectly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I glued it into place. I screwed the metal hinge in temporarily to give it more rigidity while gluing and to check for level.
    [​IMG]

After the initial tacking set up, I used some ABS cement to fill in all the gaps and add reinforcements where needed.
    [​IMG]

Once the new hinge was in place, I turned the door over and started marking out the window. I added the side scoop on for a quick visual.
    [​IMG]

After I was satisfied with the window arrangement, I proceeded to cut it out.
    [​IMG]

Next I prepped the core for foam by taping off the window edges and roughing up all surfaces. Adding foam in the center will allow me to re-skin the door in fiberglass, and also aid in sound deadening.
    [​IMG]

Let me just state for the record that I despise spray foam in a can! You can never use this crap more than once or twice, otherwise the tip gets clogged, rendering the nozzle useless. So you use a screwdriver to try and clear the passageway, and you end up breaking it off, sending spray foam all over the garage! (TIP: If you get spray foam on your clothes or in your hair, wait until it cures before attempting to remove it. Much easier! lol )
    [​IMG]

After the foam cured, I took a hacksaw blade to carve away the excess.
    [​IMG]

I was able to use all the ribbing as a guide to get the foam flush.
    [​IMG]

And a quick final shot of the door on the case...
    [​IMG]

Next up I'll get to the door frame and chassis modifications.

13. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

quick tip, hang the foam bottle up side down when used :)
    (all contruction glues/gaskets in the "gun-tubes" will be a lot easier to get working if they hang upside down, and most of all, wont get dry :) )

OT Fantastic work! this one is going to be awesome!

Boddaker likes this.
  14. Boddaker

Thanks kelmannen, great tip. I usually turn the can upright and spray a few seconds to clear it out before putting it away, but I guess I neglected to do that last time. And I hadn't used it in a while either. :rolleyes:

15. Boddaker

Now that the door hinge is moved, I need to modify the door frame to accept the new hinge location. This was relatively easy, since I just had to transfer the measurements for the two notches from one side of the frame to the other.
    [​IMG]

An overall shot of the frame.
    [​IMG]

With that done I could mark the hinge locations onto the chassis.
    [​IMG]

I went to town on the chassis, cutting out the marked areas and fabricating some brackets to fit in behind. This proved quite the challenge, since the bracket's positioning was crucial to having the door line up correctly.
    [​IMG]

A couple close up shots of the bracket, from the outside...
    [​IMG]

...and from the inside.
    [​IMG]

Mounting the hinge...
    [​IMG]

Test fitting with the door frame...
    [​IMG]

... and with the door.
    [​IMG]

After a few adjustments, I could then permanently secure the brackets to the chassis with black pop rivets.
    [​IMG]

Next step is adding a fiberglass door skin over the foam, unfortunately I ran out of resin and need to order more.

16. CMos

CMos What's a Dremel?

Dont know what to say... its just stunning work!

17. Boddaker

Thanks CMos!

I also managed to get some more fiberglassing done last weekend as well. It was a fine display of mindful modding multitasking. :) I'd lay down some gel-coat, then work on the suicide door while that was setting up. Then I'd go over and apply the layers of fiberglass, and continue on the door.

Here are a couple shots of the second side scoop I made.
    [​IMG]

After it cured, I started trimming it down, matching the original. Here is a side-by-side comparison in mid-trim.
    [​IMG]

I also made significant progress on the top panel. I was not happy with how the epoxy dough mold came out last time, so I ditched that in favor of a new Plasti-Paste mold. The epoxy dough, as I found out, would not stick to itself which was crucial since I had to make the mold in two parts. So here is the first part of the plasti-paste mold, the top.
    [​IMG]

With the top piece fully cured, I could demold it, then proceed to add the sides. I had to do this in two parts because it would be almost impossible to demold it all at once without ruining the original form.
    [​IMG]

I set the top back on the form and added the sides and front. Once that cured I could demold the entire things as a whole.
    [​IMG]

Had a bit of trouble with the fiberglass lay-up this time. I had mixed too much hardener in the resin and it started curing too fast, so I only managed to get two layers of cloth down. And I had just used the last bit of resin so I couldn't mix up any more. It's probably ok, but I think I will want to add some form of reinforcement underneath for strength. I will have to add some mounting posts or something to secure it to the case anyways.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the top panel on the case. It's not pretty, as it still needs to be trimmed, but I can work with it.
    [​IMG]

Work continues!

18. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Lots 'o aaaaawesome **** in this build! :clap:

19. Boddaker

Thank you Nutman! :)

More progress on the top panel! I got more resin in, so I was able to mix up more paste and fill in bubbles and other problem areas. I also added some temporary dowels underneath in preparation for cutting away the center section. This will reinforce the piece and help retain its shape.
    [​IMG]

Center section cut out.
    [​IMG]

Now I can work the edges and smooth out the lip where the mesh will sit.
    [​IMG]

I cut out a piece of mesh roughly to the size of the center area and marked the edges.
    [​IMG]

Here's the mesh after cutting and bending the back end down and around the bottom.
    [​IMG]

After some additional cutting and filing, I got the mesh to sit flush with the top surface.
    [​IMG]

I placed the top panel with mesh onto the case for a look-see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's getting there! Still have some bodywork to do to smooth it out a bit more, and I have to add holes in the mesh for the top bars. If all goes well, I might be able to get a shot of the whole case this weekend, with everything assembled thus far. Maybe even a coat of primer on it all so its all one consistent color! :eeek:

20. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

WOW! O.O