1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone any good at ID'ing engines?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andy Mc, 28 Apr 2013.

1. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

And by engine I mean steam engine.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to locate a user manual for this but I'm not having any luck. The only marking on it is on the pressure gauge which has 'cheddar models' written on it.

It is in a cargo boat my late farther-in-law built and I'd like to get it going again. Especially as he used the same boiler/engine in a paddle steamer we have and I'd really love to get that going again as it is a work of art (he built it from scratch by hand).

2. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

Hi there I build small steam engines and the chances are its home made the gauge will be one of the few bought items that's on that little steamer, so getting a manual will be impossible. The first thing you want to do is check every thing runs freely by hand, then the boiler will need to be pressure tested to uk standard. If there's any model clubs around your area take it to them, they will be able to help you with this. Or post the pic on model engineer, web site. lots of very helpful and more knowledgeable people around there. Looks like a nice wee model, good luck with it.

3. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yeah the boiler was bought from a model shop (can't believe how expensive these are, makes buying PC gear look cheap!) but all the pipe work was made by my farther-in-law.

Good call on the pressure testing, don't want this to go bang when it is first fired up! I'll drop an email over to the Swindon Model group as they are possibly the closest large model group to me.

The main issue I have is where the water goes, as I can not see a water tank anywhere.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The water should go in the boiler. On Mamod engines the brass pressure valve in the top middle of the boiler unscrews which allows you to fill it with (filtered) water.

But yeah, your best bet is to take it over to the model group and have them give it a look over if possible. They should be able to give you a run down on use, fuel, oil and water.

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

best idea would be to create a thread on modelboatmayhem or something like that, they have a steam section that they could use to help you