1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the best 720-750W Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 26 Apr 2013.

1. walle

walle Minimodder

Using a Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W and couldn't be happier.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2013
  2. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I love that you've decided to do this in a measurable way! Noise is one of the biggest gripes I have with PC components, and it's also one of the hardest things to judge from a consumer's perspective - as many different sites give conflicting opinions on the same hardware, so you often don't really know what's something is like until after you buy it.

If you could do this on GPU's as well that would be fantastic.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I don't know how but I'd completely missed that page of the review until now - my first reaction was HOLY C**P 50dB(A)!!!!! How does a PSU make that much noise!!!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well...

[​IMG]

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

"While a 750W power supply is overkill for the average home computer, it's a reasonable capacity to opt for if you're touting more enthusiast level hardware."

WRONG WRONG WRONG. 750W is too low for an enthusiast, and average computer users will never come to an enthusiast site, which is just as well since your recommendations for PSUs have been anemic for YEARS.

Try running gaming rigs on an anemic 750 watt PSU. You might get it to serve through one rig for 2 years, but ive been running 1200 and 1300 watt PSUs in several rigs. Overall you save money, and components by going with a top end, top watt PSU.
    Please educate yourselves on this so you stop (unintentionally?) lying to your readers.

You can start by talking to tech who work with PSUs on a daily basis and understand what I am trying to convey.

Cheers.

Yours in Corrective PSU Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Utter nonsense.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

As usual from Star*Dagger. But always good for a chuckle when he graces us with his presence :)

8. PlayLoud

PlayLoud What's a Dremel?

I think it really depends on your definition of enthusiast. For some, a OC'd 3570k with a GTX 680 is enthusiast, while others think anything less than quad SLI is only consumer.

Personally, I run a i5 3570k (OC'd to 4.2 GHz, which I can't seem to push beyond for some reason), a 560Ti Hawk. On my Folding@home computer, I run an i7 3770k (OC'd to 4.4 GHz). On my HTPC, I am running an i3 3225. The HTPC is idling, but the Folding computer runs at 100% load all day. I have about 8 HDDs, and 3 SSD drives total. While gaming, I don't break 500w for all 3 systems combined, and SWTOR pushes my video card to 100% load.

9. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Funny, I remember getting flamed over here for recommending Seasonic while almost everyone over here was obsessed with Corsair.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Exactly.

Iirc most efficient power use is when drawing between 40-80%, for even some 'enthusiast' rigs (subjective term anyways) a 1300w psu would be less efficient than a smaller psu.

I've had a max of 650w psu, it happily coped with an x58 setup and has lasted well over 2 years, well over.

11. WALKYRIE

WALKYRIE What's a Dremel?

Same here, I have My PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910w (made by Seasonic) rock-solid working year after year, I bought another one identical for my other PC, and I am really really happy with this PSU

Tags: Add Tags